• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question on Unication G4 or G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8FAS

I see alot of people are using these for scanners. I know they are digital pagers and this might be a dumb question. But do they scan like a scanner and how hard are they to program.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
They scan a single system at a time. So you can have many talk groups in a scan list, but not more than 1 system at a time. Each "scan list" is represented by a knob position and/or a menu selection.
For the average user, they are a little more difficult to program than a scanner...well...maybe I should say different. But generally speaking, all of the info you would need is in the Radio Reference database here.

troymail

Silent Key
Generally, for a variety of reasons, I'd ONLY recommend a Unication over a scanner under these conditions:

1. your primary need is to monitor a P25 Phase 1 (and not Phase 2) system that is impacted heavily by simulcast distortion.

2. you don't need a P25 Phase 2 radio anytime soon (if ever).

Beyond that, you should probably stick to a scanner.

Unication pagers are pretty expensive for their limited purpose.

I have a G4 and purchased it to monitor several simulcast systems - and ultimately based on the promise of a Phase 2 capability - the latter of which seems to be a fading reality.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Generally, for a variety of reasons, I'd ONLY recommend a Unication over a scanner under these conditions:

1. your primary need is to monitor a P25 Phase 1 (and not Phase 2) system that is impacted heavily by simulcast distortion.

2. you don't need a P25 Phase 2 radio anytime soon (if ever).

Beyond that, you should probably stick to a scanner.

Unication pagers are pretty expensive for their limited purpose.

I have a G4 and purchased it to monitor several simulcast systems - and ultimately based on the promise of a Phase 2 capability - the latter of which seems to be a fading reality.

They work better as scanners than they do pagers…missing some key features to work with larger systems that keep them from being practical trunking pagers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
They work better as scanners than they do pagers…missing some key features to work with larger systems that keep them from being practical trunking pagers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't speak for use as a pager but as a scanner, you need to plan your programming VERY carefully as it cannot be changed on the fly and you can't lockout or force skipping of talkgroups (unless you've programmed to allow it).

Having used the G4 on numerous trips and (over)loading it with programming (many P25 systems over several states and 1,000+ talkgroups defined), I've also found that the radio can be easily overwhelmed to the point that the displayed information falls waaaaaay behind live voice being heard. And when this happens, you pretty much lose all control of the radio.....

At home here (now) in southern North Carolina, the G4 is doing nearly as poorly a job on the local NC VIPER sites while inside my house as any of my other radios (but they are all a bit better outside the house).

I've been experimenting with G4 programming trying to get better control and reception from it (selective talkgroup grouping/programming in each of the 8 knob positions and zones to control which VIPER site to track/monitor vs. letting the radio always decide for me).

krokus

Premium Subscriber
what would be recommended the G4 or 5 for michigan p25.

If MPSCS is your primary interest, get the G4.

The G5 would be more complicated to program, and it does not scan the different frequency bands at the same time. If you really want to hear VHF/UHF too, then carry a second radio/scanner.

Sent via Tapatalk

CanesFan95

There's also no scan delay and no hold / resume scan button. The pager only knows about a voice call from the initial call grant and not if a transmission is already in-progress.

KA4MLK

Premium Subscriber
G4

I use a Kenwood TK-5220 for my conventional and P25 VHF needs. I use the G4 for the 700/800 P25 Phase I systems I need. A lot of folks are all bent out of shape that the G4 upgrade for Phase II keeps getting pushed back. Personally, I am willing to wait, as the G4 is a professional product, not a consumer-grade scanner. And the G4 is the ONLY thing that actually works where I am located.

Mike

KC8FAS

Im not worried about the phase ll upgrade. Our county just switched all ems and fire to the digital pager. So I bet they know about the phase ll issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.