question on went to digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyp7

Hello our local law inforcement just went to digital. Can they just encrypt if they want to?
So far I was told they are not encrypted but our local law is very screative. And they hate that people were able to listen in. So my question is can they go to encrypted messages with no reason? and is it easily done or do they have to go through some red tape?
thanks Gene

jb872033

well...they coould go encrypted without reason, there is no law saying they cant, However the red tape they might have to go through is putting encryption on their radios if the technology isnt built in, that can get very costly, which is where the red tape comes in...getting funding for that might be tricky if there isnt any real reason to encrypt. it doesnt seem effective to go totally encrypted, but some of the talk groups might be or may become that way...narcotics/ ERT and the high sensitivity stuff might become encrypted but routine traffic probablly wont be encrypted...

JB

af5rn

That's kind of the selling point of the ProVoice EDACS systems. It's pseudo "encryption" without the cost of actual encryption, which I believe jacks up a system price significantly.

N8IAA

hyp7 said:
Hello our local law inforcement just went to digital. Can they just encrypt if they want to?
So far I was told they are not encrypted but our local law is very screative. And they hate that people were able to listen in. So my question is can they go to encrypted messages with no reason? and is it easily done or do they have to go through some red tape?
thanks Gene

Go to the database here on the website and check out your county/city and see what kind of digital system they have. Then, go further down the page and see if there is a D or an E next to the talkgroup. D means digital and in the clear comms. E means encrypted and just a lot of noise coming out of the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.