question PSR-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker845

The new PSR-500 can you tag all freqs and talkgroups you put in the scanner? Reading the owners manual it doesn't say? Or does it show all freqs and tg Numbers ect?

thanks

mancow

Database Admin
Yea, you can label them both.

With the new update you can label scan lists too and it will show them briefly when turning them off and on.

mancow

Database Admin
Yep, it will show the label of the system. It will alternate back and forth between the system name and talk group name. You can edit the rate at which you want it to toggle too.

Baker845

Thanks for the replys, The last question is how does the 1800 channels per V Folder work? Does 1800 channel mean that all it can hold or with 21 V Folders you can Put systems in scanner 1-10 banks you can call them in scanner??

thanks

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Trunk frequencies do not have labels.

The last question is how does the 1800 channels per V Folder work? Does 1800 channel mean that all it can hold or with 21 V Folders you can Put systems in scanner 1-10 banks you can call them in scanner??/quote
Think of them as 'Objects' rather then 'channels'.
Each memory (including the current working memory and 21 V-folder memories) can have 1852 objects. 22*1852=40744 objects. However, the first load of a V-folder to working memory reduces the number by 1852 objects to 38892 objects.

The OM defines the space used by TSYS Objects (including TGRP) and CONV Objects.

Baker845

1852 memories is a lot of room, one review said thats not much memorie for scanner if used in a big city but i don't see how some one could make the scanner that full.
thanks

Last edited:

Patch42

I would tend to agree with you that 1800 objects are a LOT of scanning objects. That said, some systems have talk groups defined for every little thing you can imagine. The helper to the first assistant dog catcher in the northeast portion of sector ten has his own talk group. That kind of thing. Most people aren't going to care about monitoring these talk groups, but the wildcard object works better at finding truly new talk groups if you have all the known talk groups programmed (even if not assigned to a scan list).

I'm in a medium-sized metro area and have about 600 objects programmed. I have most of the talk groups for the city and county public safety systems programmed, but I've only had the scanner a few weeks and still have more groups to discover. At this point I'd guess I'll end up with 1000 or so objects. I can see how 1800 might seem like too few if you live in a big city and want to have everything in the city, county, and surrounding areas all programmed at once. In practical terms, with a bit of planning, I don't think it will be much of a limitation for the vast majority of people. No matter how many frequencies or objects you allow, somebody is going to find a way to claim it's too few.

Sownman

I'm in Los Angeles and have 1174 objects. Far more than can be scanned and monitored
efficiently. I'm finding I actually hear far more and enjoy the listening far more if I eliminate most of the scan lists and just concentrate on a few at a time. How many
hits on items 1-200 do you miss while scanning 201-1174 ?

In fact most of the time I could just focus on my list #4 LA County Fire. Or my list #5
LAPD and have all the entertainment I can handle.

Steve

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Baker845 said:
1852 memories is a lot of room, one review said thats not much memorie for scanner if used in a big city but i don't see how some one could make the scanner that full.
thanks

One thing to remember also is that now memory use is a lot more efficient. In the early days we could have a 1000 channel radio with 50 or a 100 per bank. But the majority of the time, a lot would go unused due to separating agencies per bank and some would use only 20 of the channels, some would use only 40. In the end there was probably an average of 20% of the memory that would go unused.

Not the case anymore since we can segregate stuff a lot better and efficiently. So the 1852 objects or channels go a much longer way now.

Baker845

I thinking geting a psr-500 does it do all thing 396t does or more? Would it be a good idea to ger psr-500 or bcd-396t

thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.