Question: purchasing a scanner as a gift

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
I have a question I have been thinking about, does anyone have any info or resources where I can go? does radio reference tell you if a scanner area is an analog or analog trunking? , I don't want to buy a scanner as a gift if the area is a trunked system, or does it matter between analog basic and analog trunked? I am semi confused so I decided to ask the question.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
We can be more helpful if we know what area this person lives in and what they may want to be able to listen to, i.e. fire, police, railroad, aircraft, etc. But, yes, RadioReference can give you all the information you would need to make an informed choice of scanners. The right scanner for this person's needs would give them years of enjoyment, and the wrong scanner would best be used as a paperweight. So your choice will be critical.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have a question I have been thinking about, does anyone have any info or resources where I can go? does radio reference tell you if a scanner area is an analog or analog trunking? , I don't want to buy a scanner as a gift if the area is a trunked system, or does it matter between analog basic and analog trunked? I am semi confused so I decided to ask the question.
ScannerMaster, I believe, does that sort of thing. But I think you would get much more useful and accurate responses if you were to ask for suggestions in the regional forum for the area in question.

With the possible exception of HRO, which has stories in a number of cities, all the dealer would do is look at the database pages for the area and see what systems are listed. Somebody local to the area would have more knowledge as to what systems have the most activity as well as whether that pesky simulcast is a factor.

As Bob has suggested, knowing what the recipient’s interests are would also fine tune any suggestions.

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
i think i asked the question wrong, what i was trying to figure out is in the areas like washington state thats analog only counties whats the difference between trunked and non trunked, does ems, fire and police/ sheriff use in non digital areas non trunked or trunked analog, or does it matter, i think i asked it right this time, if i knew that i can just buy the scanner and ship it out asap.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
i think i asked the question wrong, what i was trying to figure out is in the areas like washington state thats analog only counties whats the difference between trunked and non trunked, does ems, fire and police/ sheriff use in non digital areas non trunked or trunked analog, or does it matter, i think i asked it right this time, if i knew that i can just buy the scanner and ship it out asap.

Simple question, what state, county, city will the scanner be used in? Give us this information and we can give a recommendation based on the systems/frequencies in use. Without it we'd only be guessing. If you don't want to share it then give scanner masters a call and talk to them.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
does radio reference tell you if a scanner area is an analog or analog trunking? ,
does ems, fire and police/ sheriff use in non digital areas non trunked or trunked analog, or does it matter
The answers to your above questions greatly vary but you need to tell us city/county/state (assuming WA) for the lucky gift recipient so we can get eyes on the database to give you a recommendation and identify potential pitfalls (encryption, simulcast distortion, etc). Specific info goes a long way to help us help you ;)