Question Re 2 to 3 MHz AM Noise Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Hoping someone here can help me identify some "noise" that is causing me all sorts of problems.

Have a SDRPlay RSPdx, and using SDRConsole to control it.

About a 100 foot receive only long wire ant. Balun at one end, then coax run to the house. Boston area.

From about 2 to 3 MHz AM, there are noise spikes.
They are spaced very consistently at about 0.032 MHz (32 KHz) apart. All the time. (sometimes the spacing may change slightly)

Tried all the plugging and unplugging "stuff" routine without any changes.

Is there some known emitter or "noise" source that might account for this ?

Thanks,
Bob

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Hoping someone here can help me identify some "noise" that is causing me all sorts of problems.

Have a SDRPlay RSPdx, and using SDRConsole to control it.

About a 100 foot receive only long wire ant. Balun at one end, then coax run to the house. Boston area.

From about 2 to 3 MHz AM, there are noise spikes.
They are spaced very consistently at about 0.032 MHz (32 KHz) apart. All the time. (sometimes the spacing may change slightly)

Tried all the plugging and unplugging "stuff" routine without any changes.

Is there some known emitter or "noise" source that might account for this ?

Thanks,
Bob

Have you tried using one of the SDR with a laptop and pulling the master fuses/circuit breakers on the house? That will quickly tell if your property is the source.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I have a security camera at my back door that creates noise spikes across the 2-6 mHz range. (See the bars on the waterfall display of my IC-7600 ham radio below). The camera is mounted outside up high, so I have to turn off the breaker for that circuit whenever I want to talk on the 80 meter band.

There are all sorts of household things that can cause interference like this. One method of determining if it's something in your house or something somewhere in your neighborhood is to go to your your circuit breaker panel and then shut each breaker off and then back on one at a time. .

If shutting off a particular breaker stops the noise, then find out what's plugged in to the outlets that it serves. You'll need to find a way to power the radio when you shut off the breaker that serves the outlet you use for the radio. (This is the method I used to discover that my camera was creating the interference).

If this doesn't help, then your noise is most likely external. Finding that involves wandering the neighborhood with a portable HF receiver.

Edit.. I see I doubled with dlwtrunked on the breaker thing.. apologies for the duplication..

IMG_2060.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.