Question re: AST Episode & White Mountain Village

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Recently I was watching a 2011 AST Episode. At approx. 38:40 they got a call for a probation check at the village in White Mountain. As best I could tell, neither the Trooper nor the Village Public Safety Officer were carrying portable radios. Is that area a total dead zone for public safety radio sites?

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Recently I was watching a 2011 AST Episode. At approx. 38:40 they got a call for a probation check at the village in White Mountain. As best I could tell, neither the Trooper nor the Village Public Safety Officer were carrying portable radios. Is that area a total dead zone for public safety radio sites?

Sounds about right. I don't recall having been there, but it's southeast of me and there's no ALMR coverage there. There may be a simplex fire department frequency in use there, or they may doing what every other Bush community does- VHF marine or CB.

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
White Mountain is near Nome - and while there is no ALMR (the digital system AST uses for routine comms), there are a couple of channels in Nome that troopers can use. There is not a dispatch per se, but they have a post there and some simplex frequencies are monitored sometimes. Aside from that, you can obviously use simplex anywhere. Nome PD has repeaters to use for their ops as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.