Question re: DMR systems in the database

Status
Not open for further replies.

smason

Thought I'd post this here, rather than the DB forum, as it's specific to Alberta.

I'm curious as to how some of the DMR systems are entered into the Alberta DB. Not complaining, just don't understand.

Example 1 -There's a CAN-Turbo entry in the All Trunked Radio Systems. Seems to me it should be set up similar to the Ontario DMR-MARC Ontario Amateur Repeater Network, as it's the same network, just with 2 Alberta repeaters.

Example 2 - The new entry for the Marriott Hotel DMR repeater is under trunked systems and listed as a trunked system would be, but other DMR systems are listed under Business, like South Centre, U Of C, Calgary roads etc. Which one is more correct?

The Marriott may be due to the way I submitted the data, as I listed talk groups not tone, as some other DMR entries are listed with cc, slot and tg under "tone".

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I've always felt like the systems that are DEFINITELY one system that has a presence in multiple states/provinces should be in the DB as one system, but I've been shot down before. Examples include the ham DMR system you mentioned, RENIR and Montreal FD, a DMR or NXDN system (I forget which) that straddles the BC/WA border, the US Department of Defense P25 mega-system, etc.

As for how to put DMR one-frequency "systems" in the DB, your guess is as good as mine. I've seen it done both ways as well. I don't know if how the Marriott was built will play nice(r) with Uniden scanners and their "one-frequency trunk" functionality, but if it does, I'd like to see all single-freq DMR systems done that way.

mciupa

This has come up previously and we asked the DB Manager for guidance.

His answer:

"If the system (even if it's a single frequency) has talkgroup(s) which appear on both time slots, it should be entered as a conventional networked system."

smason

This has come up previously and we asked the DB Manager for guidance.

His answer:

"If the system (even if it's a single frequency) has talkgroup(s) which appear on both time slots, it should be entered as a conventional networked system."

Thanks for the reply, makes sense.

smason

I don't know if how the Marriott was built will play nice(r) with Uniden scanners and their "one-frequency trunk" functionality, but if it does, I'd like to see all single-freq DMR systems done that way.

That's something I didn't consider, having never owned a DB-based scanner, guess that has to be kept in mind when making entries.

Jay911

Feed Provider
That's something I didn't consider, having never owned a DB-based scanner, guess that has to be kept in mind when making entries.

You will get told that RR doesn't put data in the DB in ways to support or favor any particular scanner, but the truth of the matter is that there's all sorts of things in the DB that affect various scanners, like length of alpha/desc fields, lat/long info, etc., and some of the things that are done might be handled by a particular scanner in some way due to a happy coincidence in fact.

I'll try to remember to look for the Marriott system in Sentinel tomorrow and see what it looks like.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I think one of the best kept secrets is ProScans ability to convert DMR conventional listings to OFT systems.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Do you like how it trunk tracks and displays as a DMR OFT?

I haven't run this particular system yet, but in past experience they work well. I do experience some problems with OFTs spending more time than I'd like on each system (when they're not active). I know it is trying to figure out if there's activity - it seems like it takes more time with some protocols than others. I haven't really seen it spend excessive time moving through DMR/NXDN OFTs though.

What I tend to do is run the single frequencies in conventional mode with the trick where if you leave the channel name "blank" (or default), you can see sys/talkgroup/user ID etc on screen and in recordings. This is for discovery purposes. Once I figure them out, I move them into OFT systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.