Question re my TRX-1....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fires999

Good Morning from the UK,
So, setting my radio in LIMIT search mode for example 453-470 mhz my radio performs great . The parameters work well with most of options unticked and radio decodes DMR signals with good quality audio and all the details , CC , SLOT ,TG etc...however :
Sometimes in LIMIT search mode the scanner stops on a booming DMR signal but I get the "machine gun " audio , no voice ,but save the exact same frequency, CC , slot etc into a scan bank channel/memory position and the radio decodes audio perfectly !!!
The settings/parameters are exactly the same for both whether in LIMIT search on ScanBank1 position/channel 4 (for example) but different results !!!
I now have to ensure anything I hear whilst searching for DMR signals is doubled up in a search bank just in case I've missed anything......any ideas ?

As always, really appreciate any help , advice or telling off for being stupid is always welcome. I'm still amazed at the quick responses in previous questions I've posted and the breadth of knowledge you guys have is unbelievable !!!!
Thanks in advance,

Kevin (USAF Mildenhall Fire Dept - East of England...STILL trying to convert my US colleagues to HOT TEA , not with ICE in it !!!!!!!!!!)
Be Safe everyone , Wildfire situation over there looks horrendous...my thoughts with all those affected.

Larry-G

Good Morning from the UK,
So, setting my radio in LIMIT search mode for example 453-470 mhz my radio performs great . The parameters work well with most of options unticked and radio decodes DMR signals with good quality audio and all the details , CC , SLOT ,TG etc...however :
Sometimes in LIMIT search mode the scanner stops on a booming DMR signal but I get the "machine gun " audio , no voice ,but save the exact same frequency, CC , slot etc into a scan bank channel/memory position and the radio decodes audio perfectly !!!
The settings/parameters are exactly the same for both whether in LIMIT search on ScanBank1 position/channel 4 (for example) but different results !!!
I now have to ensure anything I hear whilst searching for DMR signals is doubled up in a search bank just in case I've missed anything......any ideas ?

As always, really appreciate any help , advice or telling off for being stupid is always welcome. I'm still amazed at the quick responses in previous questions I've posted and the breadth of knowledge you guys have is unbelievable !!!!
Thanks in advance,

Kevin (USAF Mildenhall Fire Dept - East of England...STILL trying to convert my US colleagues to HOT TEA , not with ICE in it !!!!!!!!!!)
Be Safe everyone , Wildfire situation over there looks horrendous...my thoughts with all those affected.
Don’t know the exact reason why but it’s been like this for the 4 years or so I have owned a TRX-1 and laterally with the TRX-2. It’s as if the scanner hasn’t decided what mode it is receiving so it’s just outputting the raw FM signal which for DMR has that classic machine gun sound. One trick when it detects like this is to hit FN then 0, but that takes you out of limit scan mode. I’m sure some one else can reply with a more technical explanation / solution.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Limit search is for analog reception only. No digital decoding in it.

racingfan360

I think it would be more accurate to say that limit search defaults to analog only if you do not enable a digital mode. And when you do, it will ONLY decode those digital modes (eg DMR, NXDN, X2-TDMA etc). I actually find this a helpful feature in that I can search a part of the spectrum for just - as an example - a DMR signal and know it wont get stuck on an analog signal/telemetry/birdie etc like the Uniden does. A better option would be a hybrid between the two: the ability to search all modes (Uniden) or to selectively add/remove specific modes (TRX).

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I think it would be more accurate to say that limit search defaults to analog only if you do not enable a digital mode. And when you do, it will ONLY decode those digital modes (eg DMR, NXDN, X2-TDMA etc). I actually find this a helpful feature in that I can search a part of the spectrum for just - as an example - a DMR signal and know it wont get stuck on an analog signal/telemetry/birdie etc like the Uniden does. A better option would be a hybrid between the two: the ability to search all modes (Uniden) or to selectively add/remove specific modes (TRX).

And it also won't hang on a DMR control or rest channel like Uniden does.

Larry-G

Limit search is for analog reception only. No digital decoding in it.
Nope that’s incorrect, I have been using limit search for 4 years and it works for digital just fine (I have received NXDN and DMR transmissions via limit searches) although as I said above it does occasionally slip up and output the digital channel as analogue.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
My Whistlers have V-Scanner Folders specially set up for searching DMR, NXDN, and P25. I have separate systems for 2 Mhz. sections of the bands where each mode is prevalent.
3.jpg
1.jpg
Very easy to set up using Excel. So if I want to search DMR for instance, I select the DMR V-scanner folder for DMR search, and just enable the frequency ranges I want to search using the system numbers.
2.jpg
The radio has unlimited amount of space (limited by the size of the SD card) , you may as well use it.
Much More useful search IMHO, because the radio doesn't have to stop and think for each open squelch situation to decide what mode it is ect... It zips along fast until it finds a DMR signal. Also, when you search smaller increments of the band, you will start to weed out known stations ect...
A while back there was templates posted here on RR somewhere. But not hard to do if you are good at Excel.

Ubbe

I do the same and skip search functions all together and instead create scan lists, using ARC software on the Uniden 536 as the TRX-2's RF performance and squelch action are not on par with Uniden 536 that are more sensitive and has a better working squelch. The TRX-2 skips way too many weak signals as the squelch needs to be set too high or it wont close after a call ends and the RF sensitivity are about twice as good on the Uniden.

Scan lists also have the advantage that you can make notes on the alpha tag and set alerts to specific frequencies. There are pro's and con's for both brands and I actually preferes Uniden's receive and decode all formats method, as I wish to know all transmission there are in the air. And its easy to set a negative delay so it only records a 10 sec sample and then continues to scan. But for specific format searches, and for some other features, the TRX has the upper hand.

/Ubbe

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I do the same and skip search functions all together and instead create scan lists, using ARC software on the Uniden 536 as the TRX-2's RF performance and squelch action are not on par with Uniden 536 that are more sensitive and has a better working squelch. The TRX-2 skips way too many weak signals as the squelch needs to be set too high or it wont close after a call ends and the RF sensitivity are about twice as good on the Uniden.

Scan lists also have the advantage that you can make notes on the alpha tag and set alerts to specific frequencies. There are pro's and con's for both brands and I actually preferes Uniden's receive and decode all formats method, as I wish to know all transmission there are in the air. And its easy to set a negative delay so it only records a 10 sec sample and then continues to scan. But for specific format searches, and for some other features, the TRX has the upper hand.

/Ubbe
Yes exactly. I said "searching" DMR, NXDN, and P25, but actually I meant scanning each 2Mhz. segment with all frequencies 12.5Khz. apart in the scan list. The Conventional Frequency photo shows a little sample of 451-453. Scans through them very fast. Yes there is a little hysteresis with the Whistler squelch control, but at least you get to set it where you want, unlike the SDS series!

Status
Not open for further replies.