Question re: real-time limiting of 'radio noise' during live-streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktop

Feed Provider
I've got a weak-ish 868 Mhz analogue frequency that I listen to and might consider streaming, but there is a fair amount of 'radio noise' (static if you will) along with the audio. The S/N is not great due to the power output of the repeater being so low. I have a bit of terrain in the way, but not bad. I use an 7 element Sinclair yagi with about 9dBd gain at the stated frequency. I've got LMR-400 as the feedline.

The reception quality varies with the weather. High humidity and the audio quality is not too bad, but low humidity, particularly in summer (which may be due to foliage canopy along the path) causes the reception to be very 'crackly' I'll call it. My question is: Is there any PC (Windows) software that provides real-time limiting/filtering of the crackling in an audio stream that could be used ahead of streaming software? I'm thinking of something like an application used to clean up the ticks & pops from an LP (record album). Have any of you used or ever seen such software? I'm not expecting it to remove it completely, but if I could limit the noise somewhat, then listening would be much better.

thanks all

csteinman

Feed Provider
I've tried equalizers with little success. The idea being to cut the high frequencies. Biggest problem is attaching the equalizer before ProScan. I'm using the wifi on the BCD536HP. When I use an analog jack, it adds noise.

RFI-EMI-GUY

First, anything you can do to improve the RF Signal to noise ratio is paramount. Can you install a preamplifier at the antenna? Even an old UHF TV amplifier may work.

Secondly, there are DSP noise filters that allow you to adjust a precise AF window like 300 to 3200 Hz to cut off the noise in the channel which extends to 5 to 7 KHz.

I have used this model below with great success to remove channel noise from analog INMARSAT recordings which were weak, compandored and narrower than my receiver IF.

There are cheaper models, but you can shop used and find that Timewave/AEA is a fine product.

blacktop

Feed Provider
First, anything you can do to improve the RF Signal to noise ratio is paramount. Can you install a preamplifier at the antenna? Even an old UHF TV amplifier may work.

Secondly, there are DSP noise filters that allow you to adjust a precise AF window like 300 to 3200 Hz to cut off the noise in the channel which extends to 5 to 7 KHz.

I have used this model below with great success to remove channel noise from analog INMARSAT recordings which were weak, compandored and narrower than my receiver IF.

There are cheaper models, but you can shop used and find that Timewave/AEA is a fine product.

Thanks guys for the good suggestions. I have a couple of preamps which I might give a whirl. I also grabbed an antenna from a friend. It is a 17element/with 15.5 dbi across 850-900, so that might improve things a bit.

That Digital Noise Filter looks really interesting, but that particular model is likely more than I have in mind for this little project. I'll see if I can find others with decent reviews and a lower price...but that may take me a while to track one down. Meanwhile, I'll give my other 'upgrades' a whirl and see how it goes.

Thanks for getting back to me....

Status
Not open for further replies.