• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question: Re-wiring an adapter for an Astatic 636L mike for a Cobra 142 GTL Base Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenn11209

Hello Forum!

I have a Cobra 142 GTL 40 channel AM base station radio with upper and lower sidebands.

I am using an Astatic 636L handheld mike for it:

I needed to purchase a Workman C4PHR5C 4-Pin Cobra / Uniden to 5-Pin HR CB Radio Microphone Adapter which I have now:

In keying the mike on the CB THEN then audio is engaged. I have to let go of keying the mike and them the audio turns off.

***THIS IS THE ADAPTER I NEED TO RE-WIRE. I AM NOT RE-WIRING THE MIKE BECAUSE I USE IT ON A REALISTIC TRC 221 HANDELD 40 CHANNEL CB AND THE MIKE WIRING FITS THAT RADIO, SO INSTEAD I AM RE-WIRING THE ADAPTER TO BE ABLE TO USE THE SAME MIKE FOR THE COBRA 142 GTL.***

Any help as to how to properly change thr wiring would be greatly appreciated

glenn11209

glenn11209, hello and welcome to Radio Reference!

I believe that your answer can be derived from this webpage:

and by studying how that Adapter is wired. Does that help you out?

Cheers! Dave

Hello Dave! Thanks for your reply! The information you shared with me is for the MIKE re-wiring, NOT the ADAPTER re-wiring that I mentioned in my original post.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hello Dave! Thanks for your reply! The information you shared with me is for the MIKE re-wiring, NOT the ADAPTER re-wiring that I mentioned in my original post.
Hmmm... but I was thinking that given the schematics and the two microphone pin-outs combined with your own ringing-out of how that adapter is wired pin-to-pin (couldn't find a schematic on that item), you would be able to figure out what wires needed to be moved to where on what pins inside the adapter. At least that was my thought process... What do you think?

Dave

glenn11209

The pictures of of the ADAPTER not the Mike. I need help configuring the ADAPTER. If I reconfigure the MIKE I cannot use it on my CB handheld.

K4EET

Chaplain
The pictures of of the ADAPTER not the Mike. I need help configuring the ADAPTER. If I reconfigure the MIKE I cannot use it on my CB handheld.
I understand that. I just cannot tell from the pictures what color wires go to what pin numbers and where the 5th pin on the Astatic mic goes to.

glenn11209

Astatic (4 wire)
1- White
2- N/C
3- Black
4- Shield
5- Red

Now, when I open the adapter there are two wires I need to switch from the 5 jack end. AM I correct in switching the Number 3 from the black wire to the Number 5 and the Number 5 black to red?

K4EET

Chaplain
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have gotten distracted a 100 times today. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Sooooooo... You are suggesting to reverse pins 1 and 2 on the 5 pin plug end. What I am still a little confused about, what is the actual wiring plan of the adapter? I still have not been able to determine that. What I would like to see (and this is an example only) is this:

4 PIN END - - - - - -5 PIN END
Pin 1 -------------> Pin 3
Pin 2 -------------> Pin 5
Pin 3 -------------> Pin 1 and Pin 4
Pin 4 -------------> Pin 2

Then we can make sure that the microphone wires goes to the right places on the radio's microphone input connector.

Dave

glenn11209

From the 5 pin end of the adapter pin 1 is black, 2 is red, 3 is blue, 4 is blank without any wire, 5 is blank without any wire also.

From the 4 pin side of the adapter there are only 3 wires attached and one pin is blank without a wire. There are NO numbers on the 4 pin side.

glenn11209

Ok thank you Dave! Its only 3 wires that we are dealing with on the adapter as you know are aware.

K4EET

Chaplain
So here is what has to happen. One caveat though. In the Cobra, the shield and ground are isolated whereas in the Astatic, the shield and ground are tied together. I do not know if this will cause any problems...

COBRA PIN - - - - ASTATIC PIN
1 ---------------> 2
2 ---------------> 1
3 ---------------> 4
4 ---------------> 1 ?
5 ---------------> 3

Try that and see if the tied together shield and ground cause any problems.

Dave

ThomasB3131

What kind of mic jack is on the other end of the adapter? Is the mic plug on the 636L a radio shack din plug or a normal 4 pin plug?

glenn11209

First is the Astatic mike end:

That end is plugged into this end of the adapter:

This is the other side on the adapter which is 5 pin:

That end goes into this plug in the radio:

ThomasB3131

Ok, well what you could do is figure out how the mic is wired by using your multimeter to probe between the different holes on the microphone. Once you figure that out, you can then figure the wiring on the radio by using the said method above and match the two wiring patterns together. The changes will be on the 4 pin end of the adapter. You won't have to change the wiring on the 5 pin side of the adapter since it is already correctly wired for the 142 gtl.

Here is a link to a well explained video on how to find the wiring for a microphone and for a radio, just in case you need a visual reference.

glenn11209

I do not have a multimeter which is ine reason I posted this thread. What does help is your suggestion that I figure out which wites to alternate on the 4 pin side of the adapter alone.

I will reverse red and black and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.