• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question: Re-wiring an adapter for an Astatic 636L mike for a Cobra 142 GTL Base Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenn11209

There are only 3 wires inside the adapter ( red, black and blue ) and yes, the mike does work on the Realistic TRC 221 but not in the Cobra.

glenn11209

Hi Thomas. If you can review the previous posts I gave the pictures of inside the adapter are there also.

glenn11209

Start from the top of the thread Thomas. All you need is there I am sure!

Thanks for all you assistance!

ThomasB3131

Start from the top of the thread Thomas. All you need is there I am sure!

Thanks for all you assistance!
Ok, what you need to do is add one more wire inside the adapter. use the pictures above to assign the wires to the 5 pin side. Then use the other picture and match the 5 pin to the 4 pin side of the adapter.

ThomasB3131

Try this: wire the adapter this way add one more wire and route them as shown in the pictures. This will probably work.

Match this >

To this >
CB help 2.png

glenn11209

Well, it was a SUCCESS Thomas! I wired the adapter as you suggested. There is a squeal on higher volume.

Here is a YouTube video I made:

ThomasB3131

Well, it was a SUCCESS Thomas! I wired the adapter as you suggested. There is a squeal on higher volume.

Here is a YouTube video I made:

Try and run another wire from the "not needed" pin to the "ground" pin and see if that works.

K4EET

Chaplain
Glenn, glad you got things working. If you look at my Post #16 you will notice that it is identical to Thomas' Post #45 so at least we agree. LOL! Whereas the pin numbering on the female connector (when facing the camera) is clockwise, the pin numbering on the male connector (when facing the camera) is counterclockwise. I should have stated that in that particular post but failed to. Sorry...

As for the squeal, in my post, I questioned about tying the shield to ground and whether or not that would be right or wrong. I wasn't sure. You can test it by just soldering a short jumper between the pins to see if it makes it better or worse. I could not tell what it was going to do looking at the schematic. Keep us posted.

Cheers! Dave K4EET

glenn11209

I will try that at some point Thomas. Actually I have to raise the volume up higher than I normally would to hear the squeal so its tolerable.

I also purchased a stock Cobra mike that is on the way to use on this Cobra base and another adapter that is configured to work with the Astatic mike on a Cobra 142 GTL without the need to re-wire the adapter!

Thank you once again for all your assistance!

Glenn.

ThomasB3131

I will try that at some point Thomas. Actually I have to raise the volume up higher than I normally would to hear the squeal so its tolerable.

I also purchased a stock Cobra mike that is on the way to use on this Cobra base and another adapter that is configured to work with the Astatic mike on a Cobra 142 GTL without the need to re-wire the adapter!

Thank you once again for all your assistance!

Glenn.
No problem, happy to help. If you need any more help just give us a shout.

Status
Not open for further replies.