Question Regarding Ameco TPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasMcKean

Can someone give a quick review of this gizmo? I know it isn't much, but does it work? Does it work $80.00 worth? Was thinking about trying it with a DX-400.

EDIT: After reading around the forums, here is more info.

Planning to use it (like I say) with a DX-400 and a YB-400. Maybe play with my F6A a bit. :)

More interested in it as a tuner than as an amplifier. Does this thing still tune when the power is off?

I have a wire, I think it is around 47 feet, sloping from my upper bedroom window down to a shed. I'd probably plug it into that. I also have an ANT-60 and a Yo-Yo Tenna I might want to try it on.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you're talking about this...

Ameco TPA Preamp

then no it won't work as a tuner when powered off. Units like these aren't really meant for portables (or ham HTs, for that matter) simply because their front ends can't handle the amount of signal, and it's more likely to introduce noise and overloading. If you had a desktop or a SDR, then maybe, but not with a portable.

Tuners are good when you have a less than desirable situation like trying to use a gutter or a minimal antenna. Otherwise I don't think they have much use in your case. Your current antenna is probably as good as you can do at the moment (without knowing more about your situation it's hard to suggest anything...). Don't go too much longer or I have a feeling you will notice overloading issues, especially being on the East Coast...Mike

ThomasMcKean

If you're talking about this...

Ameco TPA Preamp

then no it won't work as a tuner when powered off. Units like these aren't really meant for portables (or ham HTs, for that matter) simply because their front ends can't handle the amount of signal, and it's more likely to introduce noise and overloading. If you had a desktop or a SDR, then maybe, but not with a portable.

Yes that's the one. I guess what I am looking for specifically is something that will work like (or better than) the "Antenna Trim" on the DX-400. That little knob really makes a big difference. At least where I am. I was kinda hoping to find something that would do something similar for other receivers. No SDR, but definitely on my to do list to get one.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You *might* do better, at least for the Uniden and the Yacht Boy - with a small Pi network tuner. It won't do exactly what the so-called 'antenna trimmer' does on the Uniden, but the small amount of added selectivity might be beneficial. I would add some static bleedoff and grounding to the design, but with a little thought, that shouldn't be a big deal. No doubt there are loads of designs on the net, and a good Google search will do the job.

As for the F6A - I wouldn't put anything more than a couple of feet of wire on that, tops. I sincerely doubt that it could handle a 50 foot wire at night, down around 6 Mhz in the evening, for example, without overloading it. A pi network tuner will work just fine with this too, come to think of it.

Another possibility are tuned antennas; I'm willing to bet that folks on the F6A Yahoo group have some input on this. The Miracle Whip (no not the mayo substitute :.>>) was supposed to work real well with ham HTs with the F6A's capabilities, but I believe the compnay has folded. They were somewhat expensive as well. You might come up with better ideas on that group since they're devoted to that radio

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.