Question regarding ARTCC Frequency Usuage

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB5FAS

When monitoring the ARTCC Frequencies, are the UHF frequencies used exclusively by the Military or are the VHF/UHF simulcasted together? And do Commercial/Private aircraft have access to the 200-400 range of frequencies?

Thanks in advance!

EMD91123

AFAIK They do simulcast on both vhf/uhf(the controller that is). For the 2nd question I believe if I am not mistaken commercial aviation does not have access to uhf. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

captkel

That is correct they do simulcast on both the VHF and on the UHF frequencies. The UHF frequencies are only used by the military.

general aviation and commercial aircraft only have VHF radios on board, and usually (not always) the controllers simulcast on VHF/UHF. Seems like it's mostly the ARTCC (centers) and military bases that simulcast. The military aircraft usually have both VHF and UHF radios on board.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Some federal law enforcement aircraft also have UHF access (Border Patrol, CBP Air&Marine, DEA) although they generally use VHF.

K4DHR

general aviation and commercial aircraft only have VHF radios on board, and usually (not always) the controllers simulcast on VHF/UHF. Seems like it's mostly the ARTCC (centers) and military bases that simulcast. The military aircraft usually have both VHF and UHF radios on board.

Fighters and bomber aircraft usually only have UHF radios. Usually everything else will be VHF/UHF capable.

Interestingly enough, I have periodically heard some of the Beech and Lear Jets flown by the military ask for a UHF frequency instead of VHF. Usually they are older model aircraft, so perhaps the military never installed VHF in some of these aircraft.

autovon

Ø
Fighters and bomber aircraft usually only have UHF radios. Usually everything else will be VHF/UHF capable.

Interestingly enough, I have periodically heard some of the Beech and Lear Jets flown by the military ask for a UHF frequency instead of VHF. Usually they are older model aircraft, so perhaps the military never installed VHF in some of these aircraft.

Most, if not all fighters have both VHF and UHF these days. Oftentimes a plane with one VHF and one UHF will ask for UHF to free up the VHF for whatever. Plus, like someone posted above, there's less chatter on UHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.