BCD996P2: Question Regarding BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerHead44

Premium Subscriber
I ordered the BCD996P2 this morning. I currently live in Cary, NC(Wake County), and I want to monitor Sampson County radio traffic, which is about 60-70 miles southeast of Cary. Sampson County is on the VIPER system, will I be able to monitor their radio traffic from that distance?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It's all about location, location, location. For a system 70 miles away, you'll likely need an outdoor antenna system. Don't skimp on coax, you want something with low loss at the frequencies you want to monitor.

will I be able to monitor their radio traffic from that distance?
That's going to be a stretch.

Perhaps if one of the transmitter sites is closer to you, you'll get lucky.

Don't blame it on the scanner if you don't receive them.

For a system 70 miles away, you'll likely need an outdoor antenna system. Don't skimp on coax,

I echo this recommendation. (y)

ScannerHead44

Premium Subscriber
It's all about location, location, location. For a system 70 miles away, you'll likely need an outdoor antenna system. Don't skimp on coax, you want something with low loss at the frequencies you want to monitor.
I live in an apartment, and this complex doesn't allow for anything to be outside like that, unless it's a satellite dish. I was just curious. But I will be able to listen to Wake County/City of Raleigh at least. Thanks for the info!!!

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
On a good day, I can reach Monroe, La, from my location, which is around 55 miles from Jonesboro, La. With my BCD996P2.

cg

Premium Subscriber
You are monitoring a multi site system. In your case it may not be whether you can reach 70 miles away, you may not need to. The RR database indicates Wake County has multiple Viper sites. You would have a better chance if the VIPER system allowed the Sampson talkgroup you want to monitor at a site closer to you AND there was a radio that was affiliated to it at that site.
You might be better asking in the NC forum how close to you someone has monitored Sampson county from an area closer to you on a regular basis. Once you determine the site they hear it on, that may be the one you want to try to get. It may be much closer and easier to receive (easier may not be easy)

chris

ScannerHead44

Premium Subscriber
You are monitoring a multi site system. In your case it may not be whether you can reach 70 miles away, you may not need to. The RR database indicates Wake County has multiple Viper sites. You would have a better chance if the VIPER system allowed the Sampson talkgroup you want to monitor at a site closer to you AND there was a radio that was affiliated to it at that site.
You might be better asking in the NC forum how close to you someone has monitored Sampson county from an area closer to you on a regular basis. Once you determine the site they hear it on, that may be the one you want to try to get. It may be much closer and easier to receive (easier may not be easy)

chris
Thanks a bunch Chris!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.