Question regarding differences in quality for antenna relocation cable(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

didymus

Hello folks. I am setting up a mobile backpacking radio where I have the radio mounted on a strap, but I have the antenna attached to the backpack on my back. I've been looking into the different ways people do this for a while, but one question I've never quite been able to answer is regarding differences in "quality" for these cables. I'm not sure how much quality really comes into play or if it's more that they look fancy or what. I really don't know. That is why I am posting here.

So, on the left is a shorter cable that connects to the handheld and runs to the antenna. On the right is the same cable functionally-speaking. However, the one on the left is sold by a tactical shop and is like 10 times the price of the longer Abbree antenna on the right. I know that some of that difference in price is the "tacticool", but going deeper than that what *might* make it better? I see it has some type of loom and boots on each end, but what really makes a cable "better"? And "better" to what end? Just trying to get an idea of this so that maybe I can start making my own high-quality cables.

You don't have to hand me the answer, but if you know of a good write-up or something that I can read that will help me understand this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks againantenna-comparison.png

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I know that some of that difference in price is the "tacticool"

Tacticool multiplies the price by 10X.
Basically paint something sand colored, call it "tactical" or "Military Grade" and you are all set. It's like printing your own money….

But honestly, this comes down to a couple of things:
Better grade coaxial cable
Better quality connectors
Better strain relief.

The "Tacticool" version looks like the coax I use for my test leads. It's low loss, flexible, and good stuff.
The non-Tactical one on the right looks like regular RG-58.
Someone might tell you "…but the feed line losses!!!!!". There's probably very little difference over the length of the cable between those two. But If I was building my own (and I would), I'd use the better cable simply because I have it.

Connectors make a big difference, especially if they are getting cycled a lot.
Not sure of the quality on the "Tacticool/I wanna pretend like I was military" version, but the one on the right looks like the cheap Chinese connectors with a very thin gold coating over an exceptionally cheap metal connector. The gold coating would probably wear off the first couple of times you'd mate it, and leave bits of metal inside the connectors. Cheap coaxial connectors never pay off in any sort of critical application.

Strain relief looks much better on the "I'm practically in the Marines" version on the left, if it is actually done correctly. Good strain relief takes the strain off the connector/cable interface and drastically extends the life of the cable if it's put through a lot of movement, like it would in this application.
The heat shrink tubing on the other one provides a bit of strain relief, especially if they used adhesive lined heat shrink, but it's best suited for stationary/mobile applications, not high stress on-body use.

Is it worth 10 times the price? Depends on how you are going to use it, how important the "look" is, and if you have the budget. Over many years of frequent use, the higher cost cable will likely pay for itself if it's actually good quality, and not just the look. If this is for weekend paint ball use, then probably the cheaper one will work just fine.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I am setting up a mobile backpacking radio where I have the radio mounted on a strap, but I have the antenna attached to the backpack on my back.
What frequency ranges are you dealing with? It might make a difference in the quality of cables/connectors needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.