Question regarding Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaDelta10

I'm pretty worried that my local public safety agencies will go encrypted soon. ( I have seen an ID that had "ENC" show up when the ID showed) I was just wondering for anyone who has already seen encryption in their area or for anyone who knows in general if Fire and EMS usually go encrypted along with the Police and Sheriff's Office? I can understand the Police and Deputies wanting to be safe from harm and going encrypted but I don't know about Fire and EMS. I know the answer to this question depends on the area but just some various answers are what I'm seeking. If law enforcement goes to encryption, they've got to give us SOMETHING to listen to!

qlajlu

Silent Key
If law enforcement goes to encryption, they've got to give us SOMETHING to listen to!
Yeah! What they will give you to listen to will sound like R2D2 on steroids. The reason they encrypt is to keep eavesdroppers (scanner jockeys) locked out. Some PDs are paranoid that way. The FD and EMS could go encrypted too. Just depends on who is making the decisions. "They" don't HAVE to give you anything.

Airdorn

Around the Memphis, TN area where I live, the only encrypted talkgroups are a couple of PD vice TG's, a couple of sheriff TG's, the Mayor's Security detail (never seen it used), and a couple of other misc. talkgroups. Everything else is just run-of-the-mill Motorola type II digital.

N8IAA

I'm pretty worried that my local public safety agencies will go encrypted soon. ( I have seen an ID that had "ENC" show up when the ID showed) I was just wondering for anyone who has already seen encryption in their area or for anyone who knows in general if Fire and EMS usually go encrypted along with the Police and Sheriff's Office? I can understand the Police and Deputies wanting to be safe from harm and going encrypted but I don't know about Fire and EMS. I know the answer to this question depends on the area but just some various answers are what I'm seeking. If law enforcement goes to encryption, they've got to give us SOMETHING to listen to!

Not knowing where you are, we can't answer your question accurately.
Larry

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Well, the ENC on your display is a good sign that that particular TG is encrypted. One of the better features on the 396/996 is it can stop the 'noise' when it encounters encryption. So you won't hear it (though it will still stop on the transmission).

The multi agency TRS in my area has full encryption available for all their services. There is no rhyme nor reason as to who or when it will be used here. Some LE is encrypted, other isn't. Some FD is other isn't. Shoot, even the school buses use it sometimes.

Others have described the sound (just heard some on a non 396 scanner), so I won't repeat that. It is irksome though.

Status
Not open for further replies.