Question regarding Killingworth Ham repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

theshadowman

Feed Provider
Why is it that the Ham radio repeater in Killingworth requires an input PL (110.9) but when it broadcasts its own identifier, it broadcasts with no PL? Is this common practice with Ham radio? I am not at all familiar with amateur radio and only noticed when I was monitoring the channel with a PL on. I had to remove the PL to hear the broadcast of the identifier.

cg

Premium Subscriber
It is very likely they do that so the CWID is not heard over the radio. Very common on the public safety systems. It should also pause and reset when it is interrupted as to prevent interference with users of the repeater.

chris

W2NJS

It is common for ham repeaters to require a PL input but for them to transmit a CSQ signal. It's the owner's choice, depending on several factors about the amount of junk found on the channel. It is also possible to have one PL on the input and different one on the output Common practice in public service radio is to transmit the ID, as well as alerting tones to pagers, in CSQ, then to switch to the PL when the voice announcement is given.

Status
Not open for further replies.