• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question regarding Tetra Recievers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I am new to radios and have quite a limited knowledge so bear with me.

I am trying to help out a local police force figure out their tetra com system. Essentially they use a Cobham CH150-13 system but getting a hold of one is proving problematic. Are there alternatives to this receivers? Is tetra an exclusive system? Apologies again is some of these questions appear too basic for a specific forum such as this. Thanks in advance.

rmi2065

Premium Subscriber
TETRA is a standards based radio system. And as such any manufacturers' equipment should be able to work with the infrastructure. I suppose the only concern would be gaining access to the system. I would speak with their system administrator. He would be able to tell you if they're using encryption. Be forewarned, ordering a radio with encryption (TEA1,2,3 or 4) is near impossible for a private party. It's not as easy as it is for P25 radios.

Gotcha and thank you, I forgot to mention as well that its actually a transceiver if that makes any difference.. So assuming its not encrypted would a similar unit with close to identical stats function in the same way and is it a straightforward process? I was told I had to wait over half a year to get my hands on that part otherwise hah

smr

Cobham uses basically Sepura radios and fit them for airborne use ( = expensive) . So look for Sepura/Cassidian/Motorola Tetra terminal for the same band. If they are using any of the TEA encyption it will be impossible to get into the system for an unauthorized terminal.

Raccon

'Getting into the system' is controlled by registration and optionally authentication which uses TAA (TETRA authentication and key management algorithm). TEA is used for air-interface encryption and will prevent even an registered/authenticated terminal but without encryption from listening to encrypted communication. However the terminal could still listen to clear communication, e.g. where the system has a mix of clear and encrypted talkgroups,

Status
Not open for further replies.