Question Regaring DX-302

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasMcKean

Having a hard time trying to figure which forum to put this in? :( I hope this is the right one? *Blink*

Anyhoo, as seen in the subject, I have a DX-302. I purchased this from a fellow HAM for $40.00 a while back. It had the standard broken gear and that is fixed. Temporarily. If I can figure how to fix the rest of it, then I'll get proper gear replacement.

The problem is the DX-302 doesn't work. Well, it works, it just doesn't work WELL.

For instance, here in my area, I am very close to 1350khz, the sports channel. Now I have never been really keen on sports, but that frequency has good in helping me figure this gizmo out. I also have a DX-400 as well as a YB 400. Both are in excellent condition. Both receive 1350khz perfectly. The DX-302 receives it but more like it is far away. With static. Does not come in well at all. Neither does anything else.

So my question is if I were to replace the caps, would this fix the problem? I mean, it is LIKELY to MAYBE fix the problem?

Conversely, does anyone want a fixer upper DX-302? :)

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Is the ATT turned on? IS your antenna connected?

n9zas

vavolff

Transcending Shower and Curtain
Premium Subscriber
I bought a DX-302 a few years ago off FleaBay and I also had the same problem. It was really hit or miss. Mine was a beast on the MW/LW, but the rest forget it!

Token

Is the Preselector Band (lower left corner) selected to the proper band? Has the Preselector Tune been adjust, while listening to the desired station, to peak the stations signal?

Assuming yes to those, try “rocking” the Preselector Band knob, twisting CW and CCW a bit, if the signal peaks up (above the level it had been) but then goes down after you remove your hand the contacts of this switch may be dirty. Contact cleaner can be used to clean this up.

Next try “rocking” the RF Gain pot. Most of the time it should be fully clockwise anyway. If the signals crackles or abruptly changes this potentiometer might be dirt and require cleaning.

If still no improvement try rocking the silver MHz adjust ring and see if the signal can be improved. My copy of this Wadley loop receiver can be adjusted so that the frequency readout says you are “in” the right band, but it might not be peaking correctly. I believe what is happening is that the LO is low in power when the MHz ring is slightly off center, and this affects sensitivity greatly. However, I have not looked at the drawings / hardware to confirm that this is what is happening.

My standard tuning regimen with this radio is, tune to the freq (adjust MHz ring and VFO to desired freq). Set Preselector to correct band. Adjust Preselector tune so that the signal or background noise on freq is peaked. Rock MHz ring to ensure signal is honestly peaked (this last step really only needs to be done once per band).

T!

Last edited:

Boombox

Aside from Token's excellent advice, I'd make sure the insides of the radio are clean, i.e. blow the dust out of the tuning and preselector capacitors with canned air (never use contact cleaner on tuner capacitors unless they're 100% metal), hit the bandswitch contacts and contacts on the other switches with a bit of contact cleaner... I'd do that before replacing electrolytics. Replacing electrolytics would be the last on my list of probable issues.

Although I'm sure it's a possibility, I personally have yet to see a 70's or later transistor radio that had such degraded performance (as bad as you describe) due to old electrolytics. Bad solder connections (maybe near a bandswitch) or dirty contacts I would think would be more probable for this.

knightrider

Yahoo has a Group for the RS line of SW receivers. They have a LOT of good info, tuneup info, and so on. Many good files available as well.

nocusr

MHz gear

You mentioned that you repaired the broken gear. I assume you mean the MHz gear. Can you give me the details. I searched numerous hardware stores with no luck matching the gear. A few referred me to Stock Drive Products, but they require multiple specs, such as diametral pitch, pitch diameter, number of teeth (that I can probably count), etc. Got the radio for $5 at an auction. It's stuck on 7 MHz band, but really works well there. Hat to chuck it for a gear. Thanks, Bill

SpectreOZ

I personally have yet to see a 70's or later transistor radio that had such degraded performance (as bad as you describe) due to old electrolytics.

Interesting you should say that... I've seen radios since the 70's that have had electrolytics so degraded the radio was unstable and exhibited poor audio qualities (remember capacitors deteriorate for different reasons), an interesting read from someone who specializes in the restoration of radio's of this period (Kenwood Hybrids) can be found at Kenwood Hybrid Restoration & Repair

My DX-300 was much nicer to use after the recap, sounded significantly better too as did my 146GTL circa late 1980's :D

ThomasMcKean

You mentioned that you repaired the broken gear. I assume you mean the MHz gear. Can you give me the details. I searched numerous hardware stores with no luck matching the gear. A few referred me to Stock Drive Products, but they require multiple specs, such as diametral pitch, pitch diameter, number of teeth (that I can probably count), etc. Got the radio for $5 at an auction. It's stuck on 7 MHz band, but really works well there. Hat to chuck it for a gear. Thanks, Bill

I cheated. I super glued it back together with a bit of pressure. Poor man's fix, but it worked. :) At least temporarily. If yew look online yew can find replacement gears. I had planned to get one if I ever got this working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.