Question regaurding a radio shack pro 91-94 trunking scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

midgetpimpsu

Hello everyone I have a couple of question's I"m new to the forum and don't have much experience with police scanners but would love to learn. I want to buy a used PRO-91 (200-0521) 150-Channel Handheld Trunking Scanner Or the Pro 94 Model. My issuse is I live In madison,wisconsin (dane county) and I don't know if these scanners will work here I found a post three years ago that said "Dane county is all simplex or non-digital trunked.Madison is analog Motorola trunked." does anyone know if this is true still? Thank's....Happy Thanksgiving !!!

canav844

Hello everyone I have a couple of question's I"m new to the forum and don't have much experience with police scanners but would love to learn. I want to buy a used PRO-91 (200-0521) 150-Channel Handheld Trunking Scanner Or the Pro 94 Model. My issuse is I live In madison,wisconsin (dane county) and I don't know if these scanners will work here I found a post three years ago that said "Dane county is all simplex or non-digital trunked.Madison is analog Motorola trunked." does anyone know if this is true still? Thank's....Happy Thanksgiving !!!
You'll definately get sheriff, fire and WSP. You may have trouble with city of madison, UW and Dept of Corrections stuff. Check out the database and see what you can plug in.

pngoat

Premium Subscriber
I also live in Madison,and have a pro 91. It will pick up conventional and city of Madison trunked just fine. With the pro 91 you will have to enter ALL the frequencies for the trunked system. Also when scanning you can listen to conventional or trunked. You cannot listen to both at the same time. It's one or the other. Make sure the owners manual comes with the scanner as it can get a little complicated to program it. Hope this helps.

ltjweiss

hold off on that pro-97, i dont think it support rebanding, i would rather go with the pro-162/163/164 that might last alittle longer in your area, just my opinion though, anyone else concur?

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The PRO-97 is a better choice than either the PRO-91 or PRO-94. Certainly if you can get a PRO-164 or PSR-300 (they are the same scanner) you'd be more "future proof".

Note that just because a system rebands does not mean the PRO-97 will stop tracking it. It all depends on the specific frequencies used by the rebanded system.

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
I think he may be okay with the Pro97 for now. I had a Uniden 780 for a while after Madison "rebanded" and it worked fine because of the way they moved the frequencies.

Also in the future there will be that countywide digital system to deal with so maybe he will have to save up some bones for that....

Michael-SATX

Heck, being that the Pro-97 ( 200-0527 ) is on a deep clearence price for only $29.97
who can really wrong for that price :)) Why skip alpha-text tags for an old Pro-91 or 94.
Also, better is to enjoy having a PC/IF to being able to use a computer interface to help
program their scanner. The Pro-91, 94, 94A do not have the PC/IF, just the Pro-94B.
If you hopefully get a GREat deal on a Pro-97 for $29.97, then get a programming cable
and then slide by Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400) scanners and download WIN97 and it's free for 30-days and
then afterwards well worth the $25 dollars to continue to use this handy time saving program !
All Hail Don Starr *** ( starrsoft.com ) and all he has done for our hobby and making it easier :))

ps ~ It would seem our new iScan Pro-107 might be sQQn going on sale as my store now has
been shipped Qty = 3, when we only show to have a model quantity of 2, I can't think of
anybody that wouldn't agree Radio Shack is longggggg overdue to put some Scanners on sale !
OK, please nobody come back and say that offering only the Pro-137 Race Scanner Hot Friday
for $99 reg $129 counts. Sooooo let's go RS and get the GREat 164/163 and 106/197 on SALE !

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Heck, being that the Pro-97 ( 200-0527 ) is on a deep clearence price for only $29.97
who can really wrong for that price :))
Tell me where I can find some PRO-97s for that price and I'll buy a few. My local "The Shacks" do not have any.

Michael-SATX

gmclam - Just Have your local Radio Shack go to their Answers Online Start Page ...
Then drop down on "Product Availability" and plunk in 200-0527 and "Check Stores"
in their district. If no results in their district, have then click on "Regional View" to
see all their districts and more than likey they will see some quantity hits and can
simply drill down on each one and calling each store that "SHOWS" one and
finding out which stores actually "HAVE" one ( ie inventory errors asside and all )
Also don't ask your store to transfer this disco item in as the cost is still around $80 ish
so no manager in their right mind will bring this item in and be upside down a whole $50 bucks.
Hopefully, you will get lucky and have one in driving distance. I am very lucky here in
San Antonio to have almost 30 stores to pick from and in easy close driving distance :))

GQQD Luck and be ready to make a few calls if you get a clerk who can seem to or doesn't
want to help you with this very simple customer service task - call another and another etc...

ltjweiss

a pro-97 for $30, you cant go wrong. I even got the replacement plan for $10 so if something was to go wrong with this one they would replace it with the next model up! oh the pro-97 is being discontinued thats why its so cheap. at least thats what i was told.

Last edited:

Michael-SATX

Itjweiss - FYI - RS replacement plans ONLY replace "On a Gift Card the amount that you paid" for the Pro-97 which is $29.97 ...!!! I am sorry that you misunderstood or were I hope not mislead.
But yes, you may got and get your $10 RSSP plan refunded within the first 30 days and put your
money towards something more usefull like Rechargeable Batteries and or an antenna upgrade :))

ps ~ Bottom Line - That $10 RSSP investment will NOT replace your Pro-97 with a $199 Pro-164, etc Please Know this fact !!!

DigitalTux

Itjweiss - any chance there were any more available where you went? I talked to a guy in Madison this morning, but he couldn't find any in the region...

ltjweiss

i dont think there r any left, i kinda lucked out but ill do some lookin around, i have time on my hands. the only complaint i have about the pro-97 is the squelch/volume nob. but its awesome for $30. i did return the replacement plan and bought some overprice recharge batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.