• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question relating to the use of GMRS frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werlucad

Recently I got some new Walkie-Talkies, which are capable of using FRS and GMRS frequencies and I am a complete amateur when it comes to this. In the manual it said that in the GMRS frequencies there is a NOAA weather channel, but it also states that you need a license for GMRS frequencies however it does not state if you need a license to either transmit or listen, or both. I only intend to listen, would I need a license for this?

OhSixTJ

You do not need a license to listen but DO need one for transmitting. The license costs $70 and involves nothing more than filling out the application and submitting it. There is not test like there is with amateur radio.

Werlucad

You do not need a license to listen but DO need one for transmitting. The license costs $70 and involves nothing more than filling out the application and submitting it. There is not test like there is with amateur radio.
Much appreciated, I assume this means I can listen to the noaa stations without trouble, right?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Much appreciated, I assume this means I can listen to the noaa stations without trouble, right?
No problem at all listening to the NOAA weather/all hazards channels. Although there are some specific exceptions, in the US you can pretty much listen to any radio signal that is not encrypted. While a few radio services are "licensed by rule" (CB, FRS, MURS, etc.), most require some type of FCC license to transmit.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Recently I got some new Walkie-Talkies, which are capable of using FRS and GMRS frequencies and I am a complete amateur when it comes to this. In the manual it said that in the GMRS frequencies there is a NOAA weather channel, but it also states that you need a license for GMRS frequencies however it does not state if you need a license to either transmit or listen, or both. I only intend to listen, would I need a license for this?

I beg to differ with the others.

Up until a few years back, there were two radio services:
FRS = 1/2 watt, non removable antenna, 14 channels.
GMRS = 5 or 50 watts depending on the channel, 8 repeater input channels, 8 repeater output/simplex channels, 7 interstitials shared with FRS.

A few years ago, the FCC changed up the rules.

FRS became the 14 original channels, plus the 8 GMRS simplex channels but it had to be under 2 watts and still non-removable antennas.

If your radio falls under 2 watts, has a non-removable antenna, and meets all the requirements (FCC type certification) for the new FRS rules, then no FCC license needs to be applied for. You have to follow the FRS rules, in what is called "License by Rule".

If your radio puts out MORE than 2 watts and/or has a removable antenna, and/or allows access to the GMRS repeater inputs, etc. Then you DO need to apply and receive your valid GMRS license.

I'll add that the consumer level GMRS/FRS radios are pretty lacking in capability. The big benefit to getting your GMRS license is the ability to use better radios, external antennas, etc.

The best place to get info on FRS and GMRS is: Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR)
Straight from the horses mouth. Understanding it all, however, is a whole different challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.