• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question - Repeater Remote Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapaq2

Anyone know what methods (IF ANY) are available to remotely change/update the programming on the Kenwood Nexedge series repeaters such as the NXR-710, NXR-810, NXR-700 and NXR-800 models. Curious if KPG-150 and KPG-180 OTAP can be used with these repeaters for remote programming. To hopefully avoid any misunderstanding I am NOT asking about the updating of the programming of subscriber units in the field such as portables and mobiles like the NX200, NX300, NX700 and NX800, I am asking about updating the programing of the actual repeater remotely.

Last edited:

k4ktr

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what methods (IF ANY) are available to remotely change/update the programming on the Kenwood Nexedge series repeaters such as the NXR-710, NXR-810, NXR-700 and NXR-800 models. Curious if KPG-150 and KPG-180 OTAP can be used with these repeaters for remote programming. To hopefully avoid any misunderstanding I am NOT asking about the updating of the programming of subscriber units in the field such as portables and mobiles like the NX200, NX300, NX700 and NX800, I am asking about updating the programing of the actual repeater remotely.
Ok That is a 2 part question. sort of what could you possbile want to change on a repeater remotely? because frequency and all of that is bound by the duplexer or combiner.

part 2 the only way to Remotely program the repeater is to have internet at the site with a static ip address and then the repeater if it is an nxr-/x10 needs to have a kti-3 for internet connectivity. same applys for the nxr-x00 but it has the kti built in. and also it only works if the repeater is set up in nxdn mode

dapaq2

Thank you for your response K4KTY.

Ok That is a 2 part question. sort of what could you possbile want to change on a repeater remotely? because frequency and all of that is bound by the duplexer or combiner.

No my intentions for remote programming of the repeater is not for changing frequencies or sub audible tones but for all the other options such as for example user list, remote control, courtesy tone, etc etc etc...

part 2 the only way to Remotely program the repeater is to have internet at the site with a static ip address and then the repeater if it is an nxr-/x10 needs to have a kti-3 for internet connectivity. same applys for the nxr-x00 but it has the kti built in. and also it only works if the repeater is set up in nxdn mode

OK, you have reinforced my findings that it can only do it via ip network link (internet) and OTAP remote programming of the repeater is not doable, which is unfortunate as I see no good reason not include repeaters in the supported list for OTAP programing functionality. I had a chance to try out the ip link remote programming last night and it seems to work well and is an option but OTAP would have been my preferred choice of options. Oh Well.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Changing the programming of a repeater requires several things.
1 Re tuning the duplexers
2 Checking the repeater with a service monitor
3 Checking the antenna SWR
4 Checking the receiver sensitivity
and a host of other settings that is a lot of money to just throw up in the air and hope it lands soft.

dapaq2

I am well aware of that and what you just told me is true but only if changing the frequencies, which is NOT what I am doing as I previously stated.

dapaq2

Who said anything about changing the RAN code? No, you just click on read or write under the program tab, no enabling programming mode required.

dapaq2

Trust me there are several areas in the programming that could be changed at a later date. I have already given examples, done justifying MY reasons for wanting to setup remote programming.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Doug,
1 the OTAP programs you mentioned are for the subscriber units only.

2 internet, you will have to follow the guide on setting up a NXR-x10 repeater with a vpn router, with that said, then you can use KPG-129DN to
modify the setting and upload the code plug, You VPN into the site, then you can make the changes. The KTI-3 is not a plug and play to the internet. This has been discussed in great detail years ago in the yahoo group and on Facebook. This is a form of security for the repeater that
is built into the firmware / code. The code does not have ARP or NAT handlers and from kenwood, never will. Keeps the cost from being as much
as the NXR-5x00 repeaters that are meant for Type C Trunking. There is not much in the way of programming manual on this other than the
guides for the NXR trunking and the system guide.

*I know you said you tested that and it works, just explaining the main reasons why for others to understand who read this thread.
Also, Kenwood is still working on the 128 zone issues you sent me to have looked at, they are still working on it at the lab.

There is no such thing as otap for repeaters.

dapaq2

Thank you for the additional information, Evans, appreciate it.

1. Yes agreeable that OTAP is only for subscriber units (base/mobile/portable) and does not work with repeaters. Kenwood feels the ability to change programming on a repeater remotely via OTAP is a security issue/risk and feels it be done locally at the repeater by the radio technician and not remotely over the air. I disagree and it should be allowed but nothing I can do to change that as OTAP would be very helpful for repeaters that are not able to have an internet connection at the repeater site.

2. I have a basic understanding of what VPN is and does, but as far as setting it up and using it that is uncharted waters for me so I will have to do some research and reading up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.