Question - streaming to only registered user option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blee1099

Probably a message more for Blantonl or even the people behind the servers but how feasible would be to set listening to broadcastify to registered users only? In this day and age of ops-sec, maintaining an operational security level for those in public safety is foremost at a high demand. I spoke to the former local police chief in the county I reside in about a year ago about how in this day and age that the public literally has a front row seat to what is occurring in the county. He was concerned how, for example during a traffic stop the driver was actively listening to the police main channel and was able to tell when a 2nd unit was requested. He actually during this brief meeting asked if I could remove the police channels from my feed. Since I was actually considering ending the feed due to my extensive travel schedule for my work and was not able to actively maintain the service I told him I could look into it. Now fast forward to this year even though he retired, he had left my contact information with the incoming police chief and two weeks or so ago she out of the blue called me. Apparently she got word that there was another Howard County public service feed online and asked for the police channels to be removed. Since the feed is no longer being provided by me, I had to tell her that I was no longer operating that feed and that I did not know who it was personally but that she could probably get more information if she contacted the owner of broadcastify or accessed the website to find the feed provider. I had been thinking about this brief phone call for the last few days and got to wondering how feasible it would be to actually implement a registered users only access to broadcastify during these times since broadcastify is being used for unethical and illegal reasons. At my employer for example we actually have a login system for us to view and listen webcast with non-company equipment (laptops, phones, tablets, etc).

slicerwizard

Pfft. I believe that the vast majority of the RR membership are great folks, but there are also identified thieves, pedophiles, drug dealers, police impersonators and so on in this crowd. DHS would have you believe that some are employed by the drug cartels. I would be very impressed if the Great Blantoni or anyone else could ferret them all out.

Reconrider

So first I see a huge issue with this.

Registration is free and no one is vetted with there government ID card. So even if it’s a “registered user only feed” it takes less than 5 minutes to register and start listening. If that happened, depending on your area and the system used for there setup, the person can just buy a scanner and listen real time

Reconrider

Ok set up a pay per feed system and users only can log in on 1 device at a time.
Cheaper to buy a scanner in the long run. If they charge 5$ /mo you listen to one feed only. I buy a 600$ scanner, I can listen to all the county, at sage system, and be able to travel and use it. The model you want wouldn’t work but on a very select few people. Also to note that if my feed was a pay to use, I would cancel it if I was getting no money

Reconrider

Sorry you feel that way but some type of control needs to be in place.

Sounds like they have an issue with transparency.
thwy might as well go encrypted so no one can hear them

As for control, they can make tgids enc so no one can hear them or go full enc. Broadcastify is in the business of helping people who want to listen to the p/f/e without paying 600$ for a scanner. If they’re going to charge that, they might as well just pay the money for a scanner and not have any restrictions until said dept goes enc.

Status
Not open for further replies.