question -thoughts on this

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank125

hello while just messing around search scanning in the 460.000 range on my uniden 996t scanner i came across a couple of ltr hits, the frequencie was displayed alomg with the tgid and also the symbols lt. ok so i turned on the gre-500 and programmed in the search range, the 500 did not stop on any freqencies that the uniden stopped on, so i press pause and moved to the frequencie that i was getting a hit on but when it showed a hit it was not showing any of the info the 996t did, just showed the frequencie you would think the newer 500 would show the same info,not that it bothers me a whole bunch but one would think the newer scanner would still show what youre scanning, i tried just scanning in the range and still did not show any info, just thought that was odd, any thoughts on this, thanks

mancow

Database Admin
"the frequencie was displayed alomg with the tgid and also the symbols lt."

The symbols "it" what? What are you trying to ask again?

You might be getting spurious "birdie" types of false signals on the 996. The receiver in that thing is pretty much crap.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Ah I see, don't know why I read that as, it. :lol:

Probably because of the fact people are getting lazy about capitalizing the beginnings of sentences, or the use of caps for TGID'S, LTR, MO, TT'ing, etc.. Those of us who don't have the vision of an eagle anymore and are willing to help have to get out the magnifying lense to read those posts:D I thought the same, that it was the word it. Had to look long and close to see it was for LTR.
Larry

scanchs

You might be getting spurious "birdie" types of false signals on the 996. The receiver in that thing is pretty much crap.

Back to the topic at hand, I don't believe the receiver in the BCD996T is any more "crap" than any of the other wide band scanners, including GRE's. Based on the information the OP provided, it sounds more likely that the BCD996T is simply picking up something the PSR-500 is missing. This could be for a number of reasons, not the least of which might be a tighter squelch setting, or perhaps the attenuator is turned on, since that seems to be a fairly common setting for GRE's in strong RF environments...

ScanCHS

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It could also be that the GRE is being desensed by strong RF that is not affecting the 996. In that case, turning attenuation on on the GRE (or degrading the antenna) could cause it to receive the signal.

It could also be an image being received on the Uniden...since the GRE and Uniden have different RF designs, images will quite possibly fall in different places on each scanner.

kd7rto

I don't believe the receiver in the BCD996T is any more "crap" than any of the other wide band scanners, including GRE's.
I would agree that today's multiple trunking format receivers all have about the same RF performance, unfortunately the old adage rings true, they don’t make ‘em like they used to.

The Pro-2006 and Optoelectronics Optocom (same receiver board as the Pro-2042) were also consumer grade equipment, but using them and trunker, I can get good copy on distant trunked systems that my BC796D can’t even hear. The biggest downside is that they will not do 7.5 kHz steps in VHF-HI.

Last edited:

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
I think the OP is trying to say that the 500 is picking up the signal while in search mode, just it isn't showing any info about the type of system the frequency is. He is saying that the 996 shows that the signal is an LTR system and shows the TGID that is talking while in search mode and that the 500 doesn't do this. I think the OP was wondering if the 500 could do trunking while in search mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.