Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCScanner61

Does anybody on here, other than me, chase Police with their scanner(s)? If so, what's the most exciting thing you have ever seen? Me personally, I've seen someone get tackled in a foot chase. I'm sure someone reading this has seen more than me!

cstockmyer

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z88/GreatGurrenBrigade/not_this_****_again.jpg

:lol: :evil:

Shortwavewave

cstockmyer, that was a funny picture!!!

Actually if you still have the scanner manual, it "should" say not to go to the scene of an incident. Becuase alot of people can "get" hurt.

n2mdk

Not going to have those scanners long chasing police calls with them. Another thing you might not have for too long is your freedom as well.

SCScanner61

I was just asking what you had SEEN, not HEARD! I've seen the "heard" question asked numerous times but what the hell......

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
You shouldn't really be seeing anything that you wouldn't have seen by chance without the scanner. If anything, you should use it to avoid going past such places.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"cstockmyer, that was a funny picture!!!"

So funny someone on another forum uses it as an avatar.

To make a long story very short, once upon a time a certain airport supervisor went chasing a police call and found herself in the middle of a shootout. She read the riot act to me, I was the one who relayed the call. Not one to be intimidated I looked her straight in the eye and said in a low voice almost a growl, words to the effect "When I say SHOTS FIRED and say it TWICE now wouldn't it be prudent to avoid the area?" After a few sputters and coughs with my boss grinning behind her I got my apology, she got my hug.

Now let that be a lesson to you, radio is TV without pictures. Before TV people listened to the radio and the images formed in their heads, sometimes of vampires, superheroes and even Martians.

wogggieee

Shortwavewave said:
cstockmyer, that was a funny picture!!!

Actually if you still have the scanner manual, it "should" say not to go to the scene of an incident. Becuase alot of people can "get" hurt.
Of get in the way and cause more congestion in the area of an incident.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
This my friends, is the first step to whackerdom.

He is going to get his answer, yet legitimze what he is doing, then find out that he can create a semi-legitimate reason to put flashing lights on his car and wear EMT pocket-pants all the time.

6 months from now, we will see him posting his droopy and faded 93 CVPI on some "Northeast Florida Sandstorm and Windy Day Rapid Response Unit" web site with more lights than an entire metro PD has on all their cars stating that he only assists when "requested"

Its like looking into the future!

rabidjade

DanTSX said:
This my friends, is the first step to whackerdom.

He is going to get his answer, yet legitimze what he is doing, then find out that he can create a semi-legitimate reason to put flashing lights on his car and wear EMT pocket-pants all the time.

6 months from now, we will see him posting his droopy and faded 93 CVPI on some "Northeast Florida Sandstorm and Windy Day Rapid Response Unit" web site with more lights than an entire metro PD has on all their cars stating that he only assists when "requested"

+1

Questions like the OP always lead down a dark path unless the person snaps back to reality.

Austin4Wyo

car2back said:
*takes a drink from my glass of millk* Got Obstruction? ;)
And if that's not enough to convince someone to not "chase" the cops, I don't know what is.

To the OP...I'm gonna guess you're allergic to this pursuit for cheap thrills routine you've got going on. If you continue, I'm sure you'll break out in handcuffs. Take it from the LEO community here, since they happen to be giving you a dollar's worth of free advice. It's not worth it.

SCScanner61

OK! This has gotten way out of hand. My idea of "chasing" the Police is only limited to these few things.

*Riding by a wreck in normal traffic

*Going to a public place (mall, Wal-Mart) when the Police get called their for shoplifters, disturbances, etc... where my physical description could NOT be a part of a suspect's description

*Riding by a house in my neighborhood if someone that lives here wants to be adivsed about identity theft, civil matters, etc... where no actual on-scene "crime" is being committed.

That pretty much sums it up. I'd be the last guy that's going to ride past a shooting even if it's heavily populated and can be seen from a main highway, not just neighborhoods/apartment complexes. I'm not going to any "Narcotic Activity" calls,"Shots Fired," or "Foot Pursuits." I know my limits. As for them seeing me over and over again, they are too busy doing their jobs to notice the same guy twice in a month, especially in public places. Come on, you guys can't honestly tell me that if you have been in the area when something like that goes out, you aren't at least a little curious? I think the responses I got were pretty funny. I would just like to clarify that. Also, why do you guys get so bent out of shape when someone does this kind of thing? It only makes them look bad, not yourselves.

rabidjade

JRay1670 said:
*Going to a public place (mall, Wal-Mart) when the Police get called their for shoplifters, disturbances, etc... where my physical description could NOT be a part of a suspect's description
You still should not be doing this.

JRay1670 said:
*Riding by a house in my neighborhood if someone that lives here wants to be adivsed about identity theft, civil matters, etc... where no actual on-scene "crime" is being committed.
Really, what is the point? Are you obsessed with being partially involved? Call that person after they are done with the cops. If they tell you to mind your own business, then you should also follow the advice with the scanner chasing.

JRay1670 said:
I'm not going to any "Narcotic Activity" calls,"Shots Fired," or "Foot Pursuits." I know my limits.
Over time these self induced boundaries will erode away. With the need to "respond" to calls in public places, it's bound to happen.

JRay1670 said:
Come on, you guys can't honestly tell me that if you have been in the area when something like that goes out, you aren't at least a little curious?
With police business, I've learned to mind my own business and watch for the action on the news. I can do both from the comfort of my own home and not getting in their way.

JRay1670 said:
Also, why do you guys get so bent out of shape when someone does this kind of thing? It only makes them look bad, not yourselves.
I wouldn't want some wannabe chasing me down and staring at me when I do my job. Scanner chasers are generally hated in the public safety field. The general view is most times they aren't right in the head and tend to overstep the bounds of a common citizen when the line blurs between reality and getting mentally caught up in the scanner traffic. I've seen it myself on fire grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.