question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cditty20

i am looking at getting a new icom but i cant seem to find any that will do both conventional and trunked frequencies i need the trunked to be in the 800-900 range so i can here state police or is the two way radio mhz different with a two way radio to two way radio compared to just listening to them on a scanner

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Your post is unintelligble. What are you trying to accomplish?

cditty20

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Your post is unintelligble. What are you trying to accomplish?

i want to get a new 2-way radio icom or different brand if i have to i dont know if your on the fire department or not but they use 2 way radios like the police do. I know for the scanner i have it uses a 800-900 mhz frequency which is a p-25 system so does the two way radio use a the same mhz frequency as scanners ? i have a two way now but i can only hear and talk to guys with conventional frequencies not trunked and only goes up to 400-500 mhz is there a 2 way radio that i will be able to use that i can hear the state police and communicate with them. i work for a towing company also so coming up on accidents its very helpful sorry if this sounds so confusing
thanks

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I don't believe ICOM makes any 800 MHz P25 capable radios. Even if they did, I doubt that the system would allow an unauthorized radio to operate on it, even in receive mode. You need a scanner.

cditty20

ok i have a scanner for it i have a gre psr 800 but i wanted to upgrade my icom if i could i wasnt sure if they made on ecause i couldnt find one thanks

RadioDaze

If you try to talk to the police on a two-way radio, you are very likely to land in jail.

Let me repeat that:
If you try to talk to the police on a two-way radio, you are very likely to land in jail.
It is against the law, and they will take it VERY SERIOUSLY.

cditty20

Let me repeat that:
It is against the law, and they will take it VERY SERIOUSLY.[/QUwe
i dont sit there and talk to the police just for the hell of it i use it for fire and ems i dont talk to the police unless they come across asking us stuff

dwh367

i dont sit there and talk to the police just for the hell of it i use it for fire and ems i dont talk to the police unless they come across asking us stuff

Back when I was still in the fire service, if the police needed to ask us anything they would either have the dispatcher relay between us or they would switch over to our frequency to talk to us.

JoeyC

If you are AUTHORIZED to talk to the police over their radio frequencies or system, the fire or ems department YOU WORK FOR, will provide you with the information you need if not the radio also. Otherwise, get a scanner. You don't need to talk to the police and you WILL end up in jail as mentioned before...

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
Also, ham radios gear (for the most part) is not part 90 certified and is illegal to use in the public safety bands.

scannerboy01

If you tried talking on the public safety frequencies, you could have the following things happen to you: 1. You could get charged 2. You could get thrown in jail 3. Your equipment could get taken away
I hope this answers your question.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
If you are AUTHORIZED to talk to the police over their radio frequencies or system, the fire or ems department YOU WORK FOR, will provide you with the information you need if not the radio also. Otherwise, get a scanner. You don't need to talk to the police and you WILL end up in jail as mentioned before...

The OP, as stated, is a wrecker driver and not a ff/emt. In over 40 years in public safety I have never known a towing company to have access to a government agency's radio system.

In the county I worked in the wreckers were called by the 911 dispatchers from an approved rotation list. A towing company was never allowed to just roll up to a scene and take a vehicle unless at the vehicle owners request.

W2NJS

For the benefit of the OP, the way to find out if a manufacturer makes a certain type/spec of radio is to go to their website and look as the spec sheets for various radios. Then you're free to do whatever you want and get into any kind of trouble you desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.