Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Is this the beggining of the end?

After the latest incarnation of flamewarring here in the Colorado forum I've started to question whether the hobby is actually worth it to me anymore. Sure there have been ups and down over the years and threats of new technology ending the hobby as we know it and more times than not it has rebounded time and time again.

I started officially online publishing of the "scanlist" back in May of 1987. I started out monitoring Aurora and Denver with a Panasonic RF-1090 multiband in 1977 and it got me hooked. I have met alot of unique people over the years and have had some interesting moments as well. The biggest challenge in all these years has been DTRS and the best software tool ever PRO96COM has made life way easier along with the many people posting their loggings.

I ask some legitimate questions and post some observations with more questions then suddenly it's provocative and from a political party's playbook. Say what?

No ill intent was ment on that questioning post. I'm almost to the point of setting up a sig with that disclaimer.

So asking questions is not playing fair? Ok fine. I'll stick to I found a talkgroup on xxx site postings.

So what should I do guys? Hang out and continue ask questions and participate here or pack it up and get out.

Seriously.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Ask questions and participate? That’s how we ALL learn.

Communications are complex, and I'm speaking of the human kind.

These forums are here to bring us together, but far to often, they split us apart.

Questions are just that, questions. Many are left unasked.

When a member asks a question, we all need be leaders and take the time to teach about our hobby.

All of us can learn something from others on this site. We need to do a better job at listening, and not just to our radios.

Phil, I have learned so much about my hobby from just you alone, please stick around! I am forever grateful to you, and your experiences. From your experiences, comes knowledge.

[FONT=&quot]I say this to all, “If you have knowledge, let others light their candles at it.”[/FONT]

papaelk

scanlist said:

After the latest incarnation of flamewarring here in the Colorado forum I've started to question whether the hobby is actually worth it to me anymore. Sure there have been ups and down over the years and threats of new technology ending the hobby as we know it and more times than not it has rebounded time and time again.

I started officially online publishing of the "scanlist" back in May of 1987. I started out monitoring Aurora and Denver with a Panasonic RF-1090 multiband in 1977 and it got me hooked. I have met alot of unique people over the years and have had some interesting moments as well. The biggest challenge in all these years has been DTRS and the best software tool ever PRO96COM has made life way easier along with the many people posting their loggings.

I ask some legitimate questions and post some observations with more questions then suddenly it's provocative and from a political party's playbook. Say what?

No ill intent was ment on that questioning post. I'm almost to the point of setting up a sig with that disclaimer.

So asking questions is not playing fair? Ok fine. I'll stick to I found a talkgroup on xxx site postings.

So what should I do guys? Hang out and continue ask questions and participate here or pack it up and get out.

Seriously.

I personaly would not do anything any different than you have been.
just my 2 cents worth

TheLizard

I'm pretty new here, but I don't really like seeing the fighting we all witnessed in the Thortnton 700 thread.

You guys are all a bunch of cool and unique people and I enjoy hanging out here. I'd hate to see this change :/

Thayne

I agree too.
I didn't consider it fighting, but I do realize it can be pointless (But fun) at times. I am known to have a warped sense of humor, so I will really try to reign it in.
Knowing much of Phil's history just from being around about as long, I will always have a tendency to watch his back more than someone I know nothing about--

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Well, I did say "Play nice!"
Phil, I've "known" you and Jim for around 10 years. Sometimes you guys get that "cynical" thing going and it puts people like MMIC off. The rest of the time, you're OK, I guess. :)
How do I know? "Cause I'm guilty of it too!!!!!!
So let's get back to playing with our rediculously expensive toys....OK?

RISC777

scanlist said:
Personal choice for any individual.

Be it here or any other type of online or/and written communication, it is very different than in person communication. In this setting there is no tone of voice, no body language, no facial expressions, etc.

[ Myself, I didn't see any true warring, at least not like I've seen elsewhere. Apparently others did. Honestly, I read to see what I could learn and glean from everyone's posting(s). And, I seriously disliked that thread coming to an end due to my interest in it. ]

I've posted something and saw a response (sometimes more than one) that I could have been upset about and quit spending time here, but I chose not to. I realize that emotions or being emphatic and such do not always come across in written form every time in the fashion intended. I read, get what I can from it, then go on. I've also seen a few times opinions and commentary that I totally disagreed with and disliked, yet decided to pass on by and not respond.

scanlist said:
I would respond, "Stay. Hang out and continue on."

I'm still 'new.' I am still new to radioreference and scanning. I spend time here to learn and interact with others that have, listen to, enjoy as a hobby or/and business scanners and scanning. But you posted a question and asked for opinions so I responded. Will I be looked at by some as not knowing much? Sure. Do I mind? No. For myself (and maybe for other 'new' people), if those that know more than me quit using radioreference, where am I going to learn from (at least learn true facts and not just someone's perception(s)?

Scan-Denver

Phil, we all depend on a few like yourself to keep the rest of us informed about everything that is going on in the radio world.

So hold your chin up and stick with it - don't let a few bad apples ruin it for ya !!!

Hope to see you Nov 5th - weather permitting of course !!

eyes00only

RISC777 said:
[ Myself, I didn't see any true warring, at least not like I've seen elsewhere. Apparently others did. Honestly, I read to see what I could learn and glean from everyone's posting(s). And, I seriously disliked that thread coming to an end due to my interest in it. ]

The closing of interesting threads is the reason I may not renew my membership. The Colorado forum is the greatest, but the Admins. on all the forums are getting on too much of a power trip.

Jerry

cstockmyer

For what it's worth I hope you keep doing what you do here and on Radio Hacker. I used your site well before I ever knew of RR. I still use it today for stuff not listed here.

BobWeb

I can only add to what the others have already said. I hope you decide to stay and continue to contribute. While there may be disagreements from time to time, I think it best to have as many Colorado scannists lending their knowledge here.

Status
Not open for further replies.