• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Questions about Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

idle00955

Here is a pic of two antennas I got with a xts 2500 VHF.

As you can tell the one on the left looks to be a 800MHZ antenna. It only 5" and the thick one on the right is 4". Can anyone tell me what these antennas are designed for?

DSC_0509.jpg

RodStrong

I would guess the one on the left is UHF. The one on the right could be either. Good luck.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
Are these aftermarket antennas or /\/\ antennas?

On /\/\ OEM antennas there is usually a colored plastic ring on the underside where the SMA connector is. The color of this ring tells you what band the antenna is for.

Aftermarket antennas do not follow this, and can be hit or miss if you have no idea where the antenna came from or don't have any documentation for the antenna.

r_2016

The one on the left looks like it could be wide band UHF (403-520Mhz); the right one looks like could be UHF helical. 800Mhz antennas are usually very short, they look like they are a little long for 800Mhz.

jruta

Left, UHF whip, Right, VHF shorty (unknown split- the giveaway are the rings nearest the base, as I have never seen a UHF shorty that had them, usually those are "smooth" from tip-to-base).

I JUST bought a legit Moto VHF shorty, from a legit Moto dealer, and it has NO markings whatsoever! No "M" and no "VHF", nothing at all.

So thats my guess.

Last edited:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
After further review.. The one on the left is a UHF and the right is a VHF both aftermarket China made. I have the VHF and it works ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.