Questions about MSP mot2 and P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelopez26

Hey guys,

ive got a BCD996P2 that I use in my truck and I’m upgrading the antenna from some rusted no name mounted on the backrack to the larsen NMO150/450/758 that I’ll be mounting to the roof of my truck permanent NMO, shout out to the guys that helped me out in this forum decide what would be best!

As far as MSP, I have in my scanner programmed the mot2 trucked system; Bristol, Plymouth, Hampden, Worcester counties and cape cod. I just noticed while browsing around that MSP has a p25 system as well. Does anyone familiar with MSP systems recommend programming the p25 system as well? I hear limited traffic on the mot2 system for the counties I have programmed (dispatch TGs and some car to car) and will frequently see cruisers running code 3 or have a car pulled over and not hear any traffic. (Could be my ****ty antenna lol) typically I’ll only hear dispatch giving out a “d to d area patrols, call of an erratic 495sb passing exit x, blah blah blah, one caller” I rarely hear car to car or anything from cruisers on a traffic stop or running code 3

I live south of Boston in Plymouth county so I usually am listening to Plymouth/ Bristol counties mot2 trunked system and then hampden, Worcester counties when I travel for work up that way. Where are you guys hearing most of the traffic? Thanks!

gordon115

The zone 3/4 analog trunked system is what you want to listen to for the Plymouth/Bristol county area. Most cruisers have laptops for running license and registration inquiries which is why you don't hear much radio traffic for that. There is very limited P25 traffic in that area. Worcester County MSP is also mostly on the analog zone 8 trunking system however Worcester PD & FD are using their P25 system as their primary radio system. Hampden County will have more activity on the P25 system for MSP. Installation and activation of the MSP P25 system in zones 3,4 and 8 is likely 2+ years away you will see plenty of information about the system posted in these pages as it gets closer. They have been licensing frequencies for the P25 in recent weeks but still have not chosen a vendor to build and install it yet.

Gordon

Last edited:

aelopez26

The zone 3/4 analog trunked system is what you want to listen to for the Plymouth/Bristol county area. Most cruisers have laptops for running license and registration inquiries which is why you don't hear much radio traffic for that. There is very limited P25 traffic in that area. Worcester County MSP is also mostly on the analog zone 8 trunking system however Worcester PD & FD are using their P25 system as their primary radio system. Hampden County will have more activity on the P25 system for MSP. Installation and activation of the MSP P25 system in zones 3,4 and 8 is likely 2+ years away you will see plenty of information about the system posted in these pages as it gets closer. They have been licensing frequencies for the P25 in recent weeks but still have not chosen a vendor to build and install it yet.

Gordon

Thanks for this information! I’ll program in the p25 for hampden county and keep checking for updates in regards to other counties, appreciate the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.