Questions About San Francisco FD

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
1. Are some of the EMS channels encrypted?

2. In the old days, EMS was on 155.385 then 462.975. Is that correct?

3. Nowadays, how do EMS units talk to FD units?

4. What channel do the firefighters usually have their portable radios tuned to?

5. What radio IDs do SFFD portable radios use nowadays? Engine 1 - Engine 1 Alpha - Engine 1 Bravo?

Peter Sz

--------------------------------------

Google says!

www.moscone.com/pdf/guidelines/MosconePreparednessPlan.pdf

mission.sfgov.org/OCA_BID_ATTACHMENTS/FA7766.pdf - portable wireless video for FD

Appendix B, Knowledge Gaps, and Research Needs Pertaining to ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
communicate using their portable radios and where pagers will not activate. ...... The San Francisco Fire Department (SFFD) has more than 1700 uniformed ...
www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire/pdfs/FFRCSapB.pdf

Fireman's Fund Heritage eNewsletter: Grant Gives Penn Fire Co ...
... Poway Fire Department, Poway — $20902 for portable radios ... San Francisco Fire Department, San Francisco — $37199 for an ambulance simulator and EMS ...
Fireman's Fund Heritage eNewsletter: Grant Gives Penn Fire Co. 'Cutting Edge' Equipment - 41k - Cached - Similar pages -

FILENO. 021816 RESOLUTION NO. 8U~ÖÄ
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Resolution retroactively authorizing the San Francisco Fire Department (SFFD) to ... Management Agency (FEMA) to acquire 800 MHz portable radios for all ...
www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/bdsupvrs/resolutions02/r0811-02.pdf - Similar pages -

Eng74

First off SFFD is on the City/County's trunked radio system, which is a Motorola type II system. Check the database.

1. Are some of the EMS channels encrypted?

I do belive they have a talk group that is encrypted, check the database.

2. In the old days, EMS was on 155.385 then 462.975. Is that correct?

I don't know about the old days when EMS was ran by Public Health Department but I think 462.975 was one of the SFFD channels.

3. Nowadays, how do EMS units talk to FD units?

Since SFFD runs the Ambulances they are dispatched all on the same radio and have the same talk groups. SFFD runs Medic Ambulances out of some of the stations on a 24 hour FD shift and then they also have Medic Engines and they also have Medic Ambulances that are 12 hour and dynamicly posted thoughout the city as needed. That is they are not at a fire station but "parked" on the street in areas of the city that have a high call loads.

4. What channel do the firefighters usually have their portable radios tuned to?

They will have them on their main dispatch talk group A1, A2, or A3. When there is a call dispatch will tell them whic talk group to respond on and which tac to use.

5. What radio IDs do SFFD portable radios use nowadays? Engine 1 - Engine 1 Alpha - Engine 1 Bravo?

They just use Engine 1. When they are on the tacs it is pretty informal. If you hear Rescue Captain that is a paramedic superviser.

rooivalk

For Medic to Hospital comms, the talkgroup is encrypted (for HIPPA regs). There's three Dispatch Channels. Upon being dispatched, the Medics will be told what Tac. channel to use, if applicable to the particular call.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
EMS Talkgroups

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
944 03b D SFFD EMS1 EMS 1 Medic-Hospital Control 7 EMS-Tac
976 03d D SFFD EMS2 EMS 2 Medic-Hospital Control 8 EMS-Tac
15312 3bd SFFD EMS3 Ambulance non-emergency Control 9 EMS-Tac
15344 3bf SFFD EMS4 Private ambulance Control 10 EMS-Tac

That is what the database shows. Apparently EMS1 and EMS2 are actually encrypted (E) not (D). EMS3 is probably for chit/chat on EMS issues. EMS4 might be used to contact private ambulances who are responding to assist the City during busy periods or disasters.

One other question - the database shows two channel B8 for the SFFD. One digital - one analog. Anyone have further info?

Thanks for the replies so far. Peter Sz

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Last time I was there I recall SFFD dispatch A1, A2, A3 being split up geographically into three areas of the city:

SFFD A1 - "Control 1" - Downtown SF (East side of the city). (Corresponding PD channels would be A1/A2)

SFFD A2 - "Control 2" - I'm hazy on this but it was central/south... may have also covered Mission/Bayview neighborhoods. (PD would be on A3/A4 and A5/A6)

SFFD A3 - "Control 3" - West SF. Richmond/Sunset neighborhoods, etc. (PD would be on A7/A8)

I wish I could hear the SF TRS from my house, I would have verified the info... but that should be better than nothing.

Regards,

Inigo

Status
Not open for further replies.