Questions about scanning online

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjscudie

Hello everybody, I am new to scanning and am particularly interested in doing it online. I was wondering however, if the feeds are immediately put online when they are actualy happening. In other words is there a delay from the time the fire call is dispatched to the time its put online, and if so how much is the delay. I was also wondering if all calls for the particular area im listening to are put online, or are there some that don't go through- perhaps getting dropped or not getting picked up by signal?

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
All feeds on RR are provided by volunteers with physical scanners from their particular area. What channels are being monitored, the quality of the feed, etc. is in the hands of the person providing that feed, RR has no control over that. Any questions you might have pertaining to a particular feed you would need to contact the provider of that feed directly (you can use the "Report A Problem" to do this).

For the most part, all feeds on RR are "Live". There is a slight delay (can be anywhere between 30 to 90+- seconds) from the time it takes to receive the audio, until you actually hear it.

Hope this helps you to better understand how this works. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Last edited:

vjscudie

Thank you for that info. Is there anyway to recieve the feeds with virtually no delay between the time the call goes out and the time its put up on-line. I heard somewhere there could be a .5 second delay with something called ProScan, but don't know too much about it. I appreciate any info I can get on recieving live feeds immediately.

talkpair

........and if so how much is the delay.
Many public safety dispatchers give the time at the end of a transmission or conversation.
You can get a feel for how much delay you're dealing with by comparing the time spoken with your own clock.

I was also wondering if all calls for the particular area im listening to are put online, or are there some that don't go through- perhaps getting dropped or not getting picked up by signal?
Some radio traffic may not get streamed.
The feed provider might not be able to receive weaker signals, or if the provider has several channels in their scan list, the chances are better that the radio will stop on another channel and the reply will never be heard.

vjscudie

what if i had scanner masters set up my computer where i recieve fire calls in my area, that would be different right? because im not relying on other people to do the scanning. with a scanning system set up i would virtually recieve most fire calls that went out in my area right? my goal is to recieve all fire calls in the surrounding counties in the quickest time possible, so im just trying to narrow how to get it done.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Your best bet is to get your own scanner or scanners. If you are listening through the Internet, there will always be some delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.