Questions about scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I live in Hollister CA, population 35,000 (counting sheep, goats, and cattle). I believe they use only analog communications. I can hear the dispatcher on 156.775 but only occasionally hear the officers in the PD responding (also on this frequency). Years ago I had a friend who said they used three tactical channels also but I have not been able to find reference to these. My questions are: how to you know if the PD uses digital or trunking? Why am I only able to hear the occasional PD car? Is there a master guide to PD frequencies that gets down to the tactical channels?

I am using a Pro 62 from Radio Shack (with no owner's manual...got one?) and I have followed the brief on-line RS programming guide (not much detail).

I appreciate the help from the "rabid technical community." <smile>

captclint

Mentor
I can hear the dispatcher on 156.775 but only occasionally hear the officers in the PD responding Why am I only able to hear the occasional PD car?
Welcome tor RR. You must mean 158.775. The reason you can not always hear the cars is that their location(on the ground), distance from you, and transmit power are issues. In general, cars can be heard 4-7 miles away if there are no hills in between. The base station is often at a higher elevation, and has more power, although distance from you may be more important than power. KD0OTK linked to the only info we have(there are no TAC channels), and there are no trunk systems or digital listed, but you might want to go to the California forum and ask about any other frequencies that might not be in our database. In general, our database is one of the most complete anywhere, but there may not be enough listeners from your area to contribute more data.

Last edited:

DickH

Sometimes we rely too much on the RR database. You should always check the FCC database - get it right from the horses mouth, so to speak. :)

Try these:

Status
Not open for further replies.