Questions about STARS and State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

dic

I'm driving through VA on my way to Florida for the first time since STARS was complete.
After looking at the database, I have a few questions:

>Each Division is broken into channels 1 and 2 (Ex: Fairfax 1 and Fairfax 2). Are these divided into the same zones/areas as when they were on VHF?

>Richmond and Chesapeake have a number of surveillance and other (red, blue) TGs.
Are these TGs active?

>Is the aviation traffic unit still active? (It was out the last time I drove home in 2009).
If so, on what TG would they be found?

>Lastly, is there any reason to keep the VHF frequencies programmed?
I read a few posts in my research and am not sure what the status is now.

Thank you

Dic

gcgrotz

Can't help much but as for the TAC channels, yes they are used but not busy. In case of an "event" they can get busy, or you may just hear some car-to-car chatter, or nothing at all. I would include them.

What I would EXCLUDE would be forestry, game, corrections and things like that.

As for the legacy systems, some are still on, some not, some may get turned off at any time. Don't bother with them.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in. Drive safe and I don't envy you for spending that much time on I-95!!!

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I
>Each Division is broken into channels 1 and 2 (Ex: Fairfax 1 and Fairfax 2). Are these divided into the same zones/areas as when they were on VHF?

I believe they are the same as the legacy VHF. Not aware of any exceptions. You will see a 3rd dispatch TG for some divisions. That is usually used when there is higher than normal traffic (events, maybe incidents).

>Is the aviation traffic unit still active? (It was out the last time I drove home in 2009).

I think you are referring to "Operation Air, Land & Speed". Not a full time assignment. Typically on dates such as high traffic like holiday weekends, but not necessarily.

I would not program the legacy VHF in, either. SIRS (39.54) would probably make my scanner list if you have a decent antenna on your vehicle. That is the state's law enforcement inter-agency channel. The use varies from parts of the Commonwealth.

W4UVV

VASCAR curtailed

I'm driving through VA on my way to Florida for the first time since STARS was complete.
After looking at the database, I have a few questions:

>Richmond and Chesapeake have a number of surveillance and other (red, blue) TGs.
Are these TGs active?

>Lastly, is there any reason to keep the VHF frequencies programmed?
I read a few posts in my research and am not sure what the status is now.

Thank you

Dic

Unless the political dynamics recently have changed VASCAR activities continue to be curtailed due to funding constraints. I find that ironic since on a good day for example on I295 the VSP can issue thousands of dollars total in speeding tickets.

EMTPKA

I have the Pro 106

and trying to program VA State Police into the scanner and can't figure out the best way to do it... I'm a former officer and I manage all law enforcement into my radios anyone can help... Thanks...

Palmer Allen
Fredericksburg VA

shumadine

Palmer, please reply with your scanner model number and whether or not you have programming software.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
and trying to program VA State Police into the scanner and can't figure out the best way to do it... I'm a former officer and I manage all law enforcement into my radios anyone can help... Thanks...

Palmer Allen
Fredericksburg VA
Set type to P25 Auto. Program ALL red and blue freqs of towers in your area. Program any talkgroups of those towers.

Status
Not open for further replies.