Questions about Technicain test

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD70MAC

I have been doing the QRZ test online and have some questions about the real thing.

1 how many questions are on the real test ?

2 are you under a time limit ?

3 do you have to take the general & technician to get 2m & 440 ?

4 how much does it cost to take the tech ?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Test

I have been doing the QRZ test online and have some questions about the real thing.

1 how many questions are on the real test ?

2 are you under a time limit ?

3 do you have to take the general & technician to get 2m & 440 ?

4 how much does it cost to take the tech ?

1) 10 If I remember right maybe 15
2) You got lots of time
3)No, Techs can use 2m, 440, and parts of 10...
4) Was $10 might be $15 now

KC9LVX General Class (One of the NO CODE types)

Krmit

Premium Subscriber
From the ARRL website.

Technician Class License. You can get an entry level Amateur Radio Technician license by passing a 35-question multiple-choice examination. No Morse code test is required. The exam covers basic regulations, operating practices, and electronics theory, with a focus on VHF and UHF applications.
Technician Class operators are authorized to use all amateur VHF and UHF frequencies (all frequencies above 50 MHz). Technicians also may operate on the 80, 40, and 15 meter HF bands using Morse code, and on the 10 meter band using Morse code, voice, and digital modes. No Morse code test is required.

Exam sessions are conducted by volunteers working under the direction of the FCC. There will likely be a charge for taking the exam. There is no FCC fee for an initial license, or standard changes to a license. However, there are fees for other FCC services. The exam fee is set by the local exam administrator, the Volunteer Exam Coordinator (VEC), and is usually $15 or less. Contact the exam session administrator to determine the fee that applies to the exam session you plan to attend.
Bring a picture ID (drivers license, passport) OR, when no photo ID is available, two forms of identification must be presented (birth certificate, report card, library card, Social Security card, utility bill, bank statement, etc.). Students may bring a school ID, and/or a written note from a legal guardian. To be prepared you should also bring two number two pencils with erasers and a pen. A calculator with the memory erased is allowed. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session.
If you have additional questions, call the ARRL’s toll-free line at 1-800-32NEWHAM. You may also request an informational ham radio prospect package.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Test

1) 10 If I remember right maybe 15
2) You got lots of time
3)No, Techs can use 2m, 440, and parts of 10...
4) Was $10 might be $15 now

KC9LVX General Class (One of the NO CODE types)

He is right it is 35 questions! I wasn't awake yet. lol

Bandingabout

Making change could become a hassle. A ten spot and some singles should suffice. When you pass, attempt the General exam, otherwise, you will pay exam fee for each class

SD70MAC

test

Thanks for all the help,I have been wanting to get my Ham license for a number of years. Some of the questions I just know because of dealing with LMR radios since 97' ,but other things are new. I bet the number one question I have been ask working on LMR is you must be a Ham but I am not. I have been monitoring the area 2m traffic for the past 2 years and I have finally got on fire to do it. I am for now going to stay in 2m and 440 as I have the equipment already that will cover these bands.

elk2370bruce

Don't forget that Techs also have voice privilieges on 28.3 to 28.5 MHz in the lower portion of ten meters along with some cw privileges on 80, 40, and 15 meters.

Duster40

The study materials you have right now are good until July 1, 2010.
The questions in the Question Pool will change on that date,
& so will the Test Questions.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thanks for all the help,I have been wanting to get my Ham license for a number of years. Some of the questions I just know because of dealing with LMR radios since 97' ,but other things are new. I bet the number one question I have been ask working on LMR is you must be a Ham but I am not. I have been monitoring the area 2m traffic for the past 2 years and I have finally got on fire to do it. I am for now going to stay in 2m and 440 as I have the equipment already that will cover these bands.

JUST DO IT! It's easy,cheap and you won't be sorry.:lol:
73's!
n9zas

kb2vxa

Banned
With your background it should be a snap except maybe the HF assignments and that's where memorizing the correct answers and ONLY the correct answers will save your butt. I ordered the Gordon West study manual (IMO the easiest and best) from The W5YI Group, went through it and highlighted the correct answers so I could easily ignore the rest. You'll recognize them when you see them on the test, just throw the others out and you're left with only one per question, the correct one. BTW I scored 100% and it only took me about 15 minutes. <gloating> To paraphrase a couple of things I heard on TV, it's so easy a caveman can do it so git 'er done.

Nice user name but you need an avatar!

Last edited:

SD70MAC

I passed !!!!!!!!!!

I passed it the first time,I was sweating it waiting on them to score it. Do you get anything in the mail from the FCC or is it the online record only ?

About the Avatar,I have never got it to accept the ones I tried. It always states it too big,so gave up.

SD70MAC

About the Avatar,I have never got it to accept the ones I tried. It always states it too big,so gave up.[/QUOTE]

I tried it today and it worked,thanks for the pic !!

elk2370bruce

I passed it the first time,I was sweating it waiting on them to score it. Do you get anything in the mail from the FCC or is it the online record only ?

About the Avatar,I have never got it to accept the ones I tried. It always states it too big,so gave up.

Your new callsign will first be posted on the ULS. Depending on your VEC's efficiency in submission, wait times have been way down to a week or ten days in some cases. You will then receive your "official" license document via USPS snail mail. Keep the original somewhere safe and make a couple of copies for day to use. If you go back for the General or Extra exam you will be asked to show your original and give the VE team a copy.

kb2vxa

Banned
Ditto on that and to fill in the blank, the moment you show up in the database you're good to go. Same thing when you upgrade only you have to append /AG (for General as an example) to your callsign until the new paper arrives.

Oh you're quite welcome, somewhere around here the maximum size of the avatar image is given but my guess was good.
"It always states it too big, so gave up."
Sometimes that should be taken as a compliment so NEVER give up.

GTO_04

Keep the original somewhere safe and make a couple of copies for day to use. If you go back for the General or Extra exam you will be asked to show your original and give the VE team a copy.

That is a good idea. Is a copy of one's ham license sufficient to prove compliance with scanner law exemptions?

GTO_04

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Ditto on that and to fill in the blank, the moment you show up in the database you're good to go. Same thing when you upgrade only you have to append /AG (for General as an example) to your callsign until the new paper arrives.

Oh you're quite welcome, somewhere around here the maximum size of the avatar image is given but my guess was good.
"It always states it too big, so gave up."
Sometimes that should be taken as a compliment so NEVER give up.

From the site>>>Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).

N4ADE

I suggest to try to study for the general it is not hard at all and you only need to know a few more things than the tech but yes definitely take the general after you pass the tech. and use this link QRZ.COM QRZ Ham Radio Practice Tests I am sure someone else has listed it elsewhere. Click on the start test button and pick the tests you want to study for and take them it is just a practice test but very helpful.
Plus go here http://www.arrl.org/graphical-frequency-allocations and print out one of these frequency charts just so you know what you are allowed to operate on. The color one is the best one to look at I've found.

Last edited:

RadioDaze

***Caution***

The Technician question pool has changed effective July 1, 2010. Before drilling with any online tests, make sure it uses the new question pool. The previous one was effective through June 30, 2010.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to ham radio

Now that you passed the Tech. My advice is to go right into the General study material and start studying for it. So many of us from way back when were just glad to have passed!!! The info is still fresh in your mind from the tech test. Trust me on this, doing the general now will make it easier. The priviledges expand a lot for the General. You will REALLY enjoy the priviledges from General on up.

jcpd9720

The Technician question pool has changed effective July 1, 2010. Before drilling with any online tests, make sure it uses the new question pool. The previous one was effective through June 30, 2010.

I have been slamming the online tests, and have scheduled to be in a testing session on July 18th... Is the question pool on QRZ up to date? I saw a thread on their site where someone else asked it, but nobody has answered!

Status
Not open for further replies.