Questions about VSP (Spotsy + King George)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockonyc

I'm located in Spotsylvania County just west of Fredricksburg and trying to monitor VSP with handheld Uniden BCD369XT. I have all 12 VSP division freqs unlocked. I get Culpeper (Ch. 3) just fine. I also get some Appomattox and Fairfax transmissions. I am interested in monitoring the Northern Neck (King George, Westmoreland Counties - 158.985/127.3) but hear little on this channel. So my question for the forum is: 1) is this a case of not much happening therefore little comms, 2) they are on the STARS network, 3) the freqs have changed, or 4) something else. I don't think distance is an issue.

Unrelated question: do VSP dispatchers select certain transmission sites/towers when contacting a unit in a given county? I her very little, if anything, from the other end of Division 2 (Culpeper) on Ch.3.

Thanks in advance,

Rick
Chancellor/Spotsy

Samuel

They can indeed switch which site they are using to transmit. Also keep in mind the western half of the Division is on Channel 11 158.985 (pl 167.9). As for the first part of your question Division 1 is on STARS so Im not sure what the status of legacy channel 2 is.

Nitsud

We use channel 11 for the western half of the division (Clarke,Shen.,Page, Frederick, and channel 3 for the eastern parts (Spotsy, Madison, Staffored, Culpeper). If you are wondering why you are unable to hear channel 11 (if thats what you are inquiring about), Its due to the fact that we use the different repeaters to shoot over into the valley and typically dont use the Fork Mountain repeater (at least I don't).

MOTORHEAD3902

I think the OP is trying to monitor activities in those counties on legacy/conventional ch2, which is no longer used. The patch was cut for legacy ch 2 awhile back, and wont be coming back. Those areas are strictly on STARS RIC2 these days...sadly for the folks w/o digital scanners.

Nitsud

ahh i see now. Those days are gone, but I will say that so far I have enjoyed the transition as far as being a listner. Now as for learning the new system I dont know lol

rockonyc

Thanks for the responses. So I understand, KG and the other Division 2 (Northern Neck, Middle neck, etc.) dispatch on STARS and not the conventional Channel 2, right? I have a digital scanner so I'll see what luck I can get with that. Thanks again.

MOTORHEAD3902

King George is in Div1., covered on STARS Richmond2. The Northern Neck counties are on Richmond2 as well. By "Middle Neck", I take it you're referring to the Middle Peninsula (Mathews,Middlesex,Gloucester). Those counties are in Div5, covered on legacy ch9 patched with STARS Chesapeake1.
I hope this helps some.

Status
Not open for further replies.