Questions about Which P25 Phase 2 Scanner to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have looked at many Phase 2 scanners. Since my county is half analog and half digital, I want to be prepared in the likely event that my current scanners become useless. I don't currently own a handheld, so if someone could reach out and help me on deciding, that would be helpful. Currently, I am looking at getting a Uniden BCD325P2.

Thanks,

TheRadioEnthusiast

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I have looked at many Phase 2 scanners. Since my county is half analog and half digital, I want to be prepared in the likely event that my current scanners become useless. I don't currently own a handheld, so if someone could reach out and help me on deciding, that would be helpful. Currently, I am looking at getting a Uniden BCD325P2.

Thanks,

TheRadioEnthusiast
You might want to do an internet search with your question and it'll bring you to the many many threads on this topic here on radio reference. With just about every thread on the topic, first thing that is asked is what is the system that you want to hear, what is your county and state. We can then look at your system to see how much it has the potential for being affected by simulcast distortion, or even encryption for that matter.

Personally I would stick with Uniden radios over Whistler. If you're willing to work with something other than a traditional scanner then there are other options like the unication pager and some other new products. You also have the option of SDR computer receiving.

The rule of thumb is you're going to get what you pay for. If you're willing to make the investment then I would buy a simulcast capable radio from Uniden, the SDS 100 portable, if not then any of the UNIDEN P2 capable radios could work, or maybe not, depending on your location in the system that you're going to use the radio, if simulcast issues are present.

So what is your County and State and what system are you looking to hear. You also have the option of going to your state forum and reading about it there. There will be discussion on your system and any potential simulcast issues.

You might want to do an internet search with your question and it'll bring you to the many many threads on this topic here on radio reference. With just about every thread on the topic, first thing that is asked is what is the system that you want to hear, what is your county and state. We can then look at your system to see how much it has the potential for being affected by simulcast distortion, or even encryption for that matter.

Personally I would stick with Uniden radios over Whistler. If you're willing to work with something other than a traditional scanner then there are other options like the unication pager and some other new products. You also have the option of SDR computer receiving.

The rule of thumb is you're going to get what you pay for. If you're willing to make the investment then I would buy a simulcast capable radio from Uniden, the SDS 100 portable, if not then any of the UNIDEN P2 capable radios could work, or maybe not, depending on your location in the system that you're going to use the radio, if simulcast issues are present.

So what is your County and State and what system are you looking to hear. You also have the option of going to your state forum and reading about it there. There will be discussion on your system and any potential simulcast issues.

Thanks, I'll look into it. Seems like my county Rutherford County, TN doesn't do simulcast so that may work. Thanks for the advice!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I'll look into it. Seems like my county Rutherford County, TN doesn't do simulcast so that may work. Thanks for the advice!
That's incorrect.

For the P25 Phase II system used in Rutherford County, the site is labeled as Simulcast.

Here's a map of the transmit towers for the site:
1656105016375.png

Looking at that system, it appears that most of the talkgroups used by the Rutherford County S.O. are encrypted. Here's a few examples:
1656105225333.png
The T in the mode column denotes that the talkgroup is using P25 Phase II. The capital E in the mode column indicates that these TGIDs use encryption full time. No scanner can monitor encrypted radio traffic. There are a few other encrypted talkgroups in use, and also a few that are only encrypted part of the time. That's indicated by the lower case e in the Mode column.

Smyrna & LaVergne have talkgroups on the statewide TACN system.
The TACN sites in your county do not appear to be simulcast.

More on Simulcast in the Wiki.
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Location is very important, when it comes to dealing with Simulcast. If you are in the exact 'right' location, you may not have a problem if you are very close to one of the transmit towers, or if your location is such that the signals from other locations are blocked by terrain (hills), a cluster of tall buildings, or something in your house (aluminum siding or foil backed insulation in the walls), then a 325P2 might work, if you can find a 'sweet spot' in your house. Sometimes a move of only a couple of feet make all the difference between getting reception, or getting garbled audio (or nothing at all). In some cases, if you use a directional antenna aimed at one specific location, you might get it to work, but all bets are off the minute you walk out the door & drive around in your vehicle.

Uniden's SDS scanners are the best option, as they were designed with Simulcast issues in mind. The 436HP or 536HP scanners are not as good on simulcast, but sometimes work (again, it all boils down to location). The 325P2 (and it's desktop/mobile sibling the 996P2) are considerably worse at dealing with simulcast.

Your options other than an actual scanner are one of the Unication pagers, or the Blue Tail Receiver.

A number of the LaVergne PD talkgroups are encrypted, but Smyrna is not. The Unication pagers work well, but you are limited, I believe, to monitoring only one site at a time, and no more than 64 talkgroups. (You can program others, but still are limited to using only one site. The Blue Tail is not a true scanner. It has no display (you program it with your PC), and it must have external power. Your third option would be to use one of the SDR dongles with downloaded software, used with a PC. Again, that is not a true scanner, but does work. However, for most people, that would limit them to only monitoring from a fixed location.

Should you decide to buy a scanner, other than the SDS100 or SDS200, buy only from a dealer that will let you return it without a large penalty (such as a restock fee) if it does not work for you.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
That's incorrect.

For the P25 Phase II system used in Rutherford County, the site is labeled as Simulcast.

Here's a map of the transmit towers for the site:
View attachment 123374

Looking at that system, it appears that most of the talkgroups used by the Rutherford County S.O. are encrypted. Here's a few examples:
View attachment 123375
The T in the mode column denotes that the talkgroup is using P25 Phase II. The capital E in the mode column indicates that these TGIDs use encryption full time. No scanner can monitor encrypted radio traffic. There are a few other encrypted talkgroups in use, and also a few that are only encrypted part of the time. That's indicated by the lower case e in the Mode column.

Smyrna & LaVergne have talkgroups on the statewide TACN system.
The TACN sites in your county do not appear to be simulcast.

More on Simulcast in the Wiki.
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Location is very important, when it comes to dealing with Simulcast. If you are in the exact 'right' location, you may not have a problem if you are very close to one of the transmit towers, or if your location is such that the signals from other locations are blocked by terrain (hills), a cluster of tall buildings, or something in your house (aluminum siding or foil backed insulation in the walls), then a 325P2 might work, if you can find a 'sweet spot' in your house. Sometimes a move of only a couple of feet make all the difference between getting reception, or getting garbled audio (or nothing at all). In some cases, if you use a directional antenna aimed at one specific location, you might get it to work, but all bets are off the minute you walk out the door & drive around in your vehicle.

Uniden's SDS scanners are the best option, as they were designed with Simulcast issues in mind. The 436HP or 536HP scanners are not as good on simulcast, but sometimes work (again, it all boils down to location). The 325P2 (and it's desktop/mobile sibling the 996P2) are considerably worse at dealing with simulcast.

Your options other than an actual scanner are one of the Unication pagers, or the Blue Tail Receiver.

A number of the LaVergne PD talkgroups are encrypted, but Smyrna is not. The Unication pagers work well, but you are limited, I believe, to monitoring only one site at a time, and no more than 64 talkgroups. (You can program others, but still are limited to using only one site. The Blue Tail is not a true scanner. It has no display (you program it with your PC), and it must have external power. Your third option would be to use one of the SDR dongles with downloaded software, used with a PC. Again, that is not a true scanner, but does work. However, for most people, that would limit them to only monitoring from a fixed location.

Should you decide to buy a scanner, other than the SDS100 or SDS200, buy only from a dealer that will let you return it without a large penalty (such as a restock fee) if it does not work for you.
You beat me to it Steve.. original poster, as said, and as I was about to post, you have three systems with your county being in the center of the state that are Phase ll, when you see a T in the mode of a system it is tdma, when you see TE assigned to a talk group it is tdma encrypted, a small e is part-time encrypted, as has been explained.

As I previously mentioned I would recommend an SDS 100.

It's not so easy anymore, welcome to radio reference ;)

Dang, well I was hoping that I would be able to get away with a 325P2, since I'm on a budget, but I may have to spend more. I would primarily use the scanner for airband as well as during travel to pick up other departments. I may consider purchasing the SDS100, although it seems hard for me to find a decent price for it. Fortunately, most systems are analog, but I don't know for how long. I would if I could pick up anything from Nashville? Can it pick up HAM DMR?

Thanks for the advice,

TheRadioEnthusiast

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Dang, well I was hoping that I would be able to get away with a 325P2, since I'm on a budget, but I may have to spend more. I would primarily use the scanner for airband as well as during travel to pick up other departments. I may consider purchasing the SDS100, although it seems hard for me to find a decent price for it. Fortunately, most systems are analog, but I don't know for how long. I would if I could pick up anything from Nashville? Can it pick up HAM DMR?

Thanks for the advice,

TheRadioEnthusiast
[/QUOTE]
Yes I'm sure there is so much to monitor in your area. Just by going by what's in the radio reference database. I live in... Pennsylvania but have friends in Tennessee, hopefully rhey will reply LOL........ maybe if they see this oh, I would never impose. :)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the advice,

TheRadioEnthusiast
You can pick up DMR by purchasing the DMR upgrade. I use the SDS 100 and 200 for Aviation and it works great. You may have to use ifx or select different filters, some people complain about the aviation reception but I find it to be superior.

I understand about being on the budget. Go to your state forum and see how non simulcast radios work on your simulcast systems that you may want to hear. Depending on your location you could get away swith a cheaper scanner that will receive DMR and aircraft very well.

Don't live in your neck of the woods so I can't personally say.

Status
Not open for further replies.