Questions for upcoming visit - end of March - Dunedin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hi all,
I'm planning to hit Dunedin for part of spring training to watch the Jays. Got a few questions for you.

One - the Pinellas P25 system that's (as far as I can tell) in testing - any point in bringing my Unitrunker setup for doing some analysis? Being that this is a simulcast system, is there any specific way I should program up my scanners, for either regular monitoring or trunk analysis?

Two - I don't see any frequencies for the stadium where the Jays play. I've looked under Dunedin Stadium, Grant Field, and Florida Auto Exchange Stadium, without luck (3 strikes I guess?..). Anyone got any ideas on what might be in use there and/or how to find it in a database somewhere (either here or FCC listings)?

Three - ham radio stuff. I'm a Basic with Honours ham operator in Canada (no Morse code, but privileges from <30-1300 MHz). I plan to bring a handheld and a copy of my license. The handheld may have APRS functionality enabled. Are there any legal concerns with having my ham or scanner equipment with me - I understand there is an issue with scanners in automobiles; is there a ham exemption?

Four - more ham stuff. Anyone care to share some popular ham repeaters (144/440 only, analog only, no D-Star) and/or how proliferate APRS use is in the region?

Thanks in advance!

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
# 3 & 4: Today, amateur radio operators are exempt from the scanner law, in so much as you may have one in your vehicle as long as you have proof of licensure (and know the statute). See the FAQ at the top of this state's forum for more details (including a link to the statute). Also, check out the listings for amateur repeaters at the Florida Repeater Council's website: Repeater Listings from the FRC Database

Have fun watching the Jays, Jay....

Kdogg150

Some local active ham repeaters:

146.640 - No PL wide coverage repeater located in Holiday

146.970 - 146.2 PL located in Clearwater

444.150 + 146.2 PL located in Dunedin and linked with 146.970

145.230 - 146.2 PL linked wide area coverage

147.105 + 146.2 PL Wide coverage Tampa repeater

147.060 + 123.0 PL located in St. Pete

Also simplex 146.500 and 146.520 are active in Pinellas County.

webley445

# 3 & 4: Today, amateur radio operators are exempt from the scanner law, in so much as you may have one in your vehicle as long as you have proof of licensure (and know the statute). See the FAQ at the top of this state's forum for more details (including a link to the statute). Also, check out the listings for amateur repeaters at the Florida Repeater Council's website: Repeater Listings from the FRC Database

Have fun watching the Jays, Jay....

But would that apply for a Canadian license? I know its good for a FCC issued ticket.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
But would that apply for a Canadian license? I know its good for a FCC issued ticket.

I'm pretty confident there is reciprocity between the US and Canada for most elements of the amateur radio hobby but this is the one I'm not sure about. I don't know where to ask - FHP, FCC, or someplace else. I have my doubts that Industry Canada (the amateur regulator here) would know.

Thanks for the advice all, got some work to do I see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.