Questions from a newbie in Monterey

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahlon22

Hi all,

I live in Monterey County (Monterey) and have only been into
scanning for 3 months, I'm using a uniden bc92xlt. I just found the RR
database today, and am thrilled to have the updated freqs, but I didn't see a
listing for MST or MST Rides and I was wondering if anyone knew it?

Also, what freqs is cdf using for the basin fire?

Lastly, I can't seem to get any Salinas PD traffic on my scanner, is
that normal for someone living in Monterey?

Take Care,
Mahlon Christensen

Hey mahlon22 and Welcome!! I live in Soledad

As for MST they are on 859.48750 conventional pl of 245

Basin Complex Fire LPNF net 170.550 tome 8 Cone Peak. I think they have command repeater up now, not sure i'm just to far.

166.675 Air Tac-1 Air to Air
169.150 Air Tac-2 Air to Air
169.200 Air Tac-3 Air to Air
170.000 Air Tac-4 USFS Air/Ground
167.950 Air Tac-5 BLM Air/Ground
168.700 NIFC Cmd-1 NIFC Command 1
168.100 NIFC Cmd-2 NIFC Command 2
168.075 NIFC Cmd-3 NIFC Command 3
166.6125 NIFC Cmd-4 NIFC Command 4
167.100 NIFC Cmd-5 NIFC Command 5
168.475 NIFC Cmd-6 NIFC Command 6
168.050 FS Tac-1 USFS Tac 1
168.200 FS Tac-2 USFS Tac 2
168.600 FS Tac-3 USFS Tac 3
173.9125 FS Tac-4 USFS R5 Tac 4
173.9625 FS Tac-5 USFS R5 Tac 5
173.9875 FS Tac-6 USFS R5 Tac 6
166.725 INT Tac-1 Interior Dep. Tac-1
166.775 INT Tac-2 Interior Dep. Tac-2
168.250 INT Tac-3 Interior Dep. Tac-3

122.9250 AA/AG/FW/RW
122.8500 AA/AG/RW
122.9750 AA/RW
123.0500 AA/RW/Helispots
123.0750 AA/AG/RW/Helispo
123.9750 National Air Tan

SPD is on UHF low power you need a good antenna to get them once you pass Marina it goes dead.

Just like Monterey PD is only PD I can't pick up over here :(

mahlon22

MST 6 number freq?

Hi Scannerdude,

I really appreciate the reply, regarding the MST frequency, my scanner only shows 6 numbers so would it just be 859.487?

Thanks,
Mahlon

mahlon22

Still looking for MST

Hi Scannerdude,

Thanks for the info, I haven't heard anything on it yet which is odd, considering that city busses go past my house frequently on a daily basis, maybe they have a seperate channel for Monterey? I also haven't heard any traffic on the freqs posted for the basin fire, but I assume that's just because I'm too far away from Big Sur to hear them. I tried doing a search of the freqs in my area just now and still couldn't pick up anything. Did pick up 453.912 which seems to be nothing but static, any idea what that might be?

Take Care,
Mahlon

Mick

The last time I was in the area they were using 453.450R D265 for city buses I think this is the same as MST. Let me know what you hear, thanks in advance.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=2485940&__newWindow=false

Hi all,

I live in Monterey County (Monterey) and have only been into
scanning for 3 months, I'm using a uniden bc92xlt. I just found the RR
database today, and am thrilled to have the updated freqs, but I didn't see a
listing for MST or MST Rides and I was wondering if anyone knew it?

Also, what freqs is cdf using for the basin fire?

Take Care,
Mahlon Christensen

cousinkix1953

Try listening to Salinas PD 1 on their VHF simulcast freq. (152.135) because I hear it across the bay even on a hand held unit with the regular antenna. Carmel PD (154.71) is the weak step-sister on the Monterey Peninsula, which is barely above the noise levels at all. Everything is a different story, if I use an outdoor antenna for this band...

SCPD

QRT
Just to clear up some possible confusion on the frequencies for the Basin Complex, you should be aware that it is not a CDF incident. The fire is on federal, not state, land. You should always program in all of the National Incident Radio Support Cache or NIFC (National Interagency Fire Center) frequencies when you are within listening range of a fire located on federal land. CDF handles state and private lands that are classfied by state law for such uses as watershed protection, grazing, and timber production and their protection jurisdiction is called "SRA" (State Responsibility Area).

A fire on SRA will come with a whole different set of frequencies licensed to the State of California.

mahlon22

Help with ID of 119.250

Thanks to all those who have replied with help so far, I really appreciate it.

Cousin Kix: That worked, I can now hear Salinas PD :)

Do they also have repeater freqs for Salinas FD, Swat, etc.?

Exsmokey: Thanks for the informative post, I think scannerdude listed all the NIFC freqs for me, and I programmed them into my scanner, but I still can't hear any traffic on them. I suppose that since I live in Monterey and have a handheld, I must not be close enough to the fire area?

Lastly, I just heard 119.250 for the first time, sounded like some kind of aviation channel, any idea what this might be?

Thanks Again,
Mahlon

jm_460

More frequencies

A few more cool frequencies:

CALCORD- 156.0750 Air-to-ground frequency used in medevacs. Ever seen the cool black/turquoise CALSTAR air rescue chopper land at car accident scenes? Well, this is the frequency they use to communicate with local fire departments. Sometimes, you may hear CALSTAR on your local fire departments channel. For our particular area, it is CALSTAR 2 who responds.

CALSTAR (Green): 867.5375 I've heard CALSTAR getting dispatched/ringdowns through this frequency. By the way, ringdowns are used to relay important patient info to the receiving hospital.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

jm_460

Thanks to all those who have replied with help so far, I really appreciate it.

Cousin Kix: That worked, I can now hear Salinas PD :)

Do they also have repeater freqs for Salinas FD, Swat, etc.?

Exsmokey: Thanks for the informative post, I think scannerdude listed all the NIFC freqs for me, and I programmed them into my scanner, but I still can't hear any traffic on them. I suppose that since I live in Monterey and have a handheld, I must not be close enough to the fire area?

Lastly, I just heard 119.250 for the first time, sounded like some kind of aviation channel, any idea what this might be?

Thanks Again,
Mahlon

I have the frequencies for both the Salinas and Monterey municipal airports, and that one is not one of them (or maybe it is). There has been many instances where I've heard some traffic in the aviation band. After a few transmissions, it's gone and I never hear anything after that. They come and go, and not very interesting, anyway.
Salinas: 119.4000
Monterey: 118.4000
Monterey Approach:

cousinkix1953

I don't listen to most of that VHF aviation stuff either! It's usually boring and uses split frequencies most of the time. Look for them on shortwave instead. International English is the common language on these world-wide radio channels. Make sure that your rig has a BFO or LSB/USB filters to decode those messages. Frequencies like 5.574 mhz and 6.628 mhz are really active betweeen West Coast ATC and overseas ATCs in Tokyo, Shanghai etc, as well as the airliners enroute...

Status
Not open for further replies.