Questions on Anderson P25 useage

Sparky_SC

New member here in Anderson that just got a BCD396XT last week. I was able to program it with freescan and the info here in the database. I am only receiving maybe 3-4 talkgroups , good signal on the control channel(s). Surprised at how few talkgroups I am hearing.

What I am wondering is what is currently being used in Anderson County. Is the P25 system widely used by agencies or are most still VHF/UHF?

I have read everything I can find on the subject. Last reported is that Anderson is still using Phase 1 on the PAL800 system, so I should be ok for now with the scanner I have.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !
George (formerly WB2FCW until I let it expire by accident)

mikesatter

Member - K4AFT
New member here in Anderson that just got a BCD396XT last week. I was able to program it with freescan and the info here in the database. I am only receiving maybe 3-4 talkgroups , good signal on the control channel(s). Surprised at how few talkgroups I am hearing.

What I am wondering is what is currently being used in Anderson County. Is the P25 system widely used by agencies or are most still VHF/UHF?

I have read everything I can find on the subject. Last reported is that Anderson is still using Phase 1 on the PAL800 system, so I should be ok for now with the scanner I have.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !
George (formerly WB2FCW until I let it expire by accident)
I have a Uniden BC436HP, and I live 9.5 miles from the Manse Jolly tower and have trouble picking up Anderson. I live in Central, and can pick up some of the small towns like Williamston. My BC436HP has all the addons and can pick up DMR very good from Oconee County.

Sparky_SC

I get a good signal off the tower near me (within 5 miles). I even took a ride and tried the scanner about 1/4 mile from the tower, no difference. The 3-4 talkgroups come in good but that is all. I have about 45 talkgroups programmed in from the database, seems strange only 3-4 show activity.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
One of your possible issues may be LSM aka "simulcast distortion". It can manifest as unreliable reception of P25 trunked systems. Read about it here: Simulcast Distortion - The RadioReference Wiki. This can occur even with strong signal and proximity to towers.

Which 3 talkgroups are you receiving reliably?

Can you confirm that you only programmed the frequencies for the Anderson Simulcast site? Is it possible that you're actually scanning a different site?

Try scanning in ID Search mode rather than ID Scan mode and see if you receive other talkgroups. Keep in mind that Anderson Co Sheriff talkgroups are now encrypted full time and cannot be monitored. These are indicated as "DE" in the Mode column on the system database page. It's possible that other LE talkgroups in Anderson have followed suit. Anderson County, SC Sheriff Department Now Partially Encrypted

Sparky_SC

Brian, I was hoping you would see this and reply.

Have tried both ID search and ID scan.

I got frequencies/talkgroups for Anderson simulcast site by copy/paste from the database. I have confirmed their accuracy as entered.

When I drove close to the southern most tower today the 3-4 sites were coming in showing zero errors. That put me approx 8-10 miles from the other simulcast towers in Anderson.

Groups I have received, Anderson PD dispatch, Anderson EMS dispatch, SCHP zone 3 anderson, Anderson Fire dispatch.

I have applied the latest and last firmware update which claimed to improve simulcast reception.

Are the majority of the P25 Anderson talkgroups in the database routinely active? Are they still Phase 1 that you are aware of? I just want to confirm that I am not attempting to receive something that is not there.

Last edited:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Sounds like you've performed some good troubleshooting.

Some folks import their config from the database and copy all sites in, and then don't realize that they're actually scanning a different site. Sounds like that's not the case with you. If you're picking up Anderson PD, then you're most certainly monitoring the Anderson simulcast site.

You can look at the database page here Palmetto 800 Trunking System, Various, South Carolina and scroll down to the Anderson County talkgroup category. Note the talkgroup numbers that are hyperlinks (colored blue). Those are talkgroups that are being recorded as part of the Broadcastify calls platform. Presumably someone has set up monitoring of the Anderson site. Those talkgroups that are blue/hyperlinks are talkgroups that have activity on them.

I don't monitor that site often myself so I can't say for sure. In addition to the talkgroups you listed, I think you would also be hearing SCHP Greenville, And Co Municipal PDs and Municipal FDs, Medtrans Roam, maybe a MedShore ambulance talkgroup, etc. Some Laurens Co talkgroups may also be active on that site. In ID Search mode, you should hear all talkgroups active on the site. Give it some time and see if it becomes more active.

Sparky_SC

Well, in the database under Anderson there are only 3 talkgroups in blue !! Those are ones I have heard. Very surprised only 3 in blue !! Wondering if other are experiencing the same as me.

The calls recorded on Broadcastify for Anderson Fire are mostly 2-3 seconds long with the rare 10 second one. That seems very strange npt what one would expect. I wonder if they are using VHF/UHF for the majority of their comms?

Last edited:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I see 6 that are active. And those are the ones that conform to the Broadcastify terms of service. There could be others that are active that aren't shown.
1684093758156.png

1684093797891.png

Sparky_SC

I plead guilty ! I locked out the two municipal groups, was only interested in things near city of Anderson.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
So, then, maybe you're hearing all there is to hear there? Based on what you have reported, it seems likely that you're successfully trunk-tracking the Anderson Simulcast site.

Sparky_SC

Yes, I don't think there is a lot of traffic. I have done the P25 and the VHF/UHF but not at the same time. There is a fair amount of VHF/UHF traffic in the area.

Thanks for the info !
George

Sparky_SC

Update... I bought a SDR and have been receiving tons of traffic. Its pretty amazing the difference.

LynnB270: I receive both EMS 1 and 2 extremely well. I would say those are the busiest two talk groups by a wide margin. Highway patrol would be the next most busy group.