TRX-2: Questions on remote head & a trunk system

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb7ado

Can someone provide the dimensions of the control head when detached from the main body? Also, is there somewhere I can see a picture of the control head mounting bracket, or at least a description of the kind of bracket it is (flat, L, etc.)? I'm trying to decide on buying one of these and determine where/how I would be mounting it in the vehicle.

I've also been experimenting with the programming software to get a feel for it. I had it do a RR download for various nearby cities, counties, and some WA state systems. WSP went vhf/700 mhz P25 in the last couple of years, as they decided to join up with the DOJIWN system in the PAC NW. In my scan list I see TGRP for the type and various IDs for each channel listed, but no actual frequencies. Is the radio going to know what those are and where to listen for them without the 700 mhz freqs being included? The Justice Dept. is shown on the Trunked Radio Systems tab but not the WSP 700 mhz stuff.

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to second this request! I would like to have an idea of the size of the remote head to look at mounting options before spending the money on the TRX-2. I have been using the BC-RH96 with my Unidens and I am hoping the head on the TRX-2 is smaller and will give me more locations to mount in!
Thank you in advance!

KA9EES

Can someone provide the dimensions of the control head when detached from the main body? Also, is there somewhere I can see a picture of the control head mounting bracket, or at least a description of the kind of bracket it is (flat, L, etc.)? I'm trying to decide on buying one of these and determine where/how I would be mounting it in the vehicle.

I've also been experimenting with the programming software to get a feel for it. I had it do a RR download for various nearby cities, counties, and some WA state systems. WSP went vhf/700 mhz P25 in the last couple of years, as they decided to join up with the DOJIWN system in the PAC NW. In my scan list I see TGRP for the type and various IDs for each channel listed, but no actual frequencies. Is the radio going to know what those are and where to listen for them without the 700 mhz freqs being included? The Justice Dept. is shown on the Trunked Radio Systems tab but not the WSP 700 mhz stuff.

The plate that holds the control head is approximately 3" x 2" with 4 holes one at each corner for screws to attach to a flat surface. The head is held to it by 2 round magnets that fit into indentations in the flat mount.

Ed KA9EES

38 years with CSX

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
Thank you so much, edmscan and KA9EES! Much appreciated. Even with the mounting plate, this is much smaller than the BC-RH96 Uniden remote head (7.2W x 1.9D x 2.2H without knobs). I should have much more options for mounting this.

KA9EES, as you might guess by my forum name, I'm a railroad buff. Mind if I ask where you spent most of your time on CSX and its predecessors? I bounced between Florida and Alabama as a kid so SCL and L&N were the roads I watched most.

Thanks again and 73 from W4JDP!

KA9EES

Worked out of Danville IL my entire carreer running between there and Chicago and Evanville IN. It was the L&N when I started. I have a bio on QRZ and my email address is current there too. Before we get too far off topic.

Ed KA9EES
Fithian IL

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
TRX-2Control Head

Attached are two photos of the TRX-2 control head as I have mounted in my Chevy Trailblazer.The other control head is for a Yaesu FTM-400. One photo shows the control head as mounted and the other one is the mounting bracket with the control head removed.

The bracket itself is a flat piece of metal with indentations for the magnets to hold the control head in place. The four holes in the bracket itself are threaded. As I already had the bracket mounted with another control head on it, I went to the local hardware store and bought longer screws to mount the bracket to the bracket as I had a little room left below the Yaesu control head.

Hope this helps give you an idea...

Attachments

• FTM-400&TRX-2-A.jpg
    FTM-400&TRX-2-A.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 422
  • FTM-400&TRX-2-B.jpg
    FTM-400&TRX-2-B.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.