Questions on the GRE-300

Status
Not open for further replies.

sifd4x4

I was recently looking into getting a GRE-300 as a Christmas gift to myself.
Anyways I was wondering if someone could tell me if the PSR300 did a decent job at picking up CB radio talk. Im on the fire department so I want something to listen to 800mhz frequencies (fire grounds, police, dispatch) but I also drive the interstate alot and would like to listen to CB but I dont want to have to get a seperate cb radio too. So does it pick up both of these categories well?

safetyobc

It should pick up CB but to pick up at any distance you will need a band specific antenna. So if you install a VHF High or 800 antenna on your vehicle, you won't hear the CB traffic at any distance (less than 1/4 mile probably). If you put on a large antenna for the lower band CB, you will likely give up hearing distance on the higher bands.

sifd4x4

alright thats what I figured it would be. what would be the difference in picking up 800 with a vhf high versus an 800 specific antenna?

TheJerk

If you have a good antenna, it will pick up a *standard* (read, non-amplified) CB transmission a couple miles out...but compared to a good cb radio, it will seem deaf.

I have ran one on a external antenna in my truck that also has a Galaxy DX959...the 959 was picking up transmissions that were static on the 300.

Status
Not open for further replies.