• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Questions on the NX-5700/5800 duel radio setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syntor-X9K

Hi,

I have some questions on the NX-5700/5800 duel radio setup...
1) Is there a way to get the audio out two different speakers for each band?
2) Is there a way to get signal strength or RSSI displayed all the time, or one button selectable?
3) Cross band repeat?
4) Is there an option for (FPP) field programmable?
5) Programming software/ cable cost?
6) Duel radio, one head (5700/5800 type-2 (is type2 radio necessary for 440 MHz?), Analog wide and narrow, and P25 - cost?
7) Any of these cost subscription or reoccurring costs?
8) Options I've not thought about?

slapshot0017

1) Yes each radio body has a 3.5mm audio port.
2) Don't know.
3) I think so, but don't quote me on it.
4) Yes its a 1 time license.
5) about 100 for the software, cable you can find anywhere for many different prices.
6) Don't really know what you mean by type 2, but you can have 3 radios to 1 head. Cost is dependent on the dealer.
7) Nope.
8) All available features are in the brochures on Kenwoods website. NX-5700_5800_5900 VHF/UHF Digital Transceiver P25(I&II)NXDN Multi-Digital & FM Analog Mobile Radios - NEXEDGE KENWOOD

Syntor-X9K

Regarding Q6. The standard UHF radio covers 450-512 MHz I think. The one that I need covers 430-480MHz. That's labeled type 2. Or has that changed?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I can add to Slapshots good info:

Hi,

I have some questions on the NX-5700/5800 duel radio setup...
1) Is there a way to get the audio out two different speakers for each band?

1/8" mono jack on the back of each RF deck, designed for the KES-3 speaker.
There is also the KAP2 cable which will give you a multi-pin output for the larger KES-5 speaker.

If you use the basic control head speaker, you get mixed audio, same for the speaker output on the back of the control head. Set up correctly you can do a "select" audio speaker and an "unselect" audio speaker setup. Better suited if you are running 3 RF decks.

2) Is there a way to get signal strength or RSSI displayed all the time, or one button selectable?

If you get the larger KCH-20R control head, you'll get a signal strength indicator (bars) for each RF deck on the display. If you have the basic control head, you get the selected RF deck.

3) Cross band repeat?

Yes, they refer to this as "Mobile Relay"

4) Is there an option for (FPP) field programmable?

Yes.KWD-5001FP. List price is $300.00

5) Programming software/ cable cost?

KPG-D1NK Programming Software List price $155.00
KPG-46XM Full Speed USB programming cable List price $158.50

6) Duel radio, one head (5700/5800 type-2 (is type2 radio necessary for 440 MHz?), Analog wide and narrow, and P25 - cost?

There's a lot of options involved, so it's difficult to give you an accurate LIST price on this without knowing more details.

NX-5700BK (VHF RF Deck only) = $720.00
NX-5800BK2 (UHF RF Deck only)= $720.00
Dual Deck/Single Basic Head/Dual Speaker Remote Mount kit $952.00
Dual Deck/Single Enhanced Head/Dual Speaker Remote Mount kit $1213.00

License Key for P25 conventional (one RF deck) $575.00

*radios include analog and NXDN.

The 5800F2/K2 model would be necessary as the frequency splits are 450-520 and 380-470. I do not know if there is a way to force it out of band. I'm only running the VHF models and haven't tried.

7) Any of these cost subscription or reoccurring costs?

No. Unless you want to add features/hardware, you should be good. That also depends on the programming software. If you want more recent software releases, they should be free, but that really depends on the individual dealer and how much they are willing to help you. So, don't shop just by price, shop by the service/support they offer.

8) Options I've not thought about?

There's a lot of options. Some you might be interested in:
License Key for DMR Tier 2 conventional = $60.00
License Key for 4000 channel expansion = $420.00
KMC-36 Mil-Spec standard electret mobile microphone with 12 keypad (DTMF and some control options)

Keep in mind that the prices are LIST, and you should easily be able to get a lower price than that. Under state contracts we get these at a flat 30% off list. While you are purchasing as an individual you probably shouldn't expect that level of discount, but you can probably easily do 20% off or better.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I don't want to hijack the thread, but since these are trying to replace the TK-5x10 series, is there an option for higher audio output? Going from a 13W audio out to a 4/5W output seems silly.

Syntor-X9K

Is the dual deck include the both RF decks?

For each RF deck?

And this is the P25 version that is used on HAM radio, correct?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Is the dual deck include the both RF decks?

No, that's the control head, cables, interface kit. You still need to purchase the RF decks.

For each RF deck?

That's per RF deck.

And this is the P25 version that is used on HAM radio, correct?

It's P25 phase 1 conventional, NOT trunking.

As for what your local amateur radio guys use, that's up to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.