Questions on TRX2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyssonopie

Looking to purchase a TRX 2, just wondering how hard they are to program just using the zip code for my local city. Also can you set the radius for miles like the HP 1. Thanks

Andyssonopie

Also what is the first thing that should be done when using it for the first time? I've had analog scanners for 30 plus years but never anything as complex as a TRX2, so I guess I'm looking for any advice for a new user. Thanks

troymail

Silent Key
The TRX radios do have zip code programming coupled with the ability to filter on channel types (aw, fire, utilities, etc.) on import. However, range is not part of the programming. Instead, it offers zip code and city/county programming. It's a good way to start but you may want to do some custom programming to tweak it even further.

The radios come with software that - once you play with it and get comfortable - isn't hard to use. It is different than Uniden software (shouldn't be a surprise) but if you take the time to use and understand it, it's not difficult programming your radio.

I recommend downloading a copy and playing with it - get used to it before your radio arrives.

https://whistlergroup.com/pages/trx-2-downloads

troymail

Silent Key
Thanks for your reply,another question. When I receive it should I hook it up and do the latest firmware update?

FIRST - pull the SD card from the radio and install all software on your PC -- particularly the device drivers -- after that is done, CAREFULLY and properly RELEASE the SD card from the PC and reinsert it into your powered down radio.

Next, start the EZ Scan software and do updates for the PC software and database/library second -

Once all that is done and the PC software seems to be working as expected, with the radio OFF, only then connect your radio to the PC via the USB cable - then wait.... listen for indications that the radio's SD card has been mounted (your PC may even open a folder showing the contents of the SD card). If you don't, you can easily corrupt the SD card.

At that point, have the PC application (EZ Scan) check for DSP update and apply it.

Then, check for a CPU update and apply it.

CRITICAL! Make sure you properly "release" the SD card/radio from the PC before removing the USB cable. Again, if you don't, you can easily corrupt the SD card.

This sounds like alot but it really isn't. Once you get the hand of it, you'll do it without even thinking about it.

Andyssonopie

Again many thanks for the reply, I know I'm going to have lots of questions and I surly appreciate the answers. My first question would be what happens if I corrupt the sd card? Like I said earlier I'm very old school and this is all new to me,I currently have 4 old analog scanners that are so simple to program so this is a whole new game. Thanks

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
If you corrupt the SD card worst case is you have to use the option to prepare SD card or format. Typically I find the copy to SD card may stop working and not copy all the files for a scanlist. I just have to recopy the dat files again.

Status
Not open for further replies.