questions regarding these forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerhouse

I am having trouble using these forums and can't figure out what the problem is.
Ever since Radio refference has upgraded to this software it always takes multiple log in attempts plus I have to log in to each individual section. If I log in to the main site. I have to log in again tp post to a particular forum. I then have to log in again to place a classified.
When attempting to place a classified. it wont allow me to upload pictures or a descrip[tion of my item.
If I try to add a comment to my Ad. it wont allow me to do that either.
I never had problems with the previous version of this site but for some reason. I can't do much with this version. I am a premium subsriber.
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
powerhouse
AB3JP

powerhouse

......also. when trying to post a question as above. when I hit submit it again asks to be logged in and I have to retype everything.
It turns a quick 2-3 minute task into a half hour quest.

powerhouse
AB3JP

powerhouse

Yeah, I checked that first and cookies are enabled.
I've never had trouble with the older version of these forums but ever since the switch, I've had nothing but issues.
Another strange problem is when posting to the forums such as this reply, I'm,of course, already logged in. I type my reply and hit submit but I get an error message that says I'm not allowed to to that until I log in????
I've gotten used to this and always copy my reply first before submitting. Then, when I log in yet again, I can just paste my comments in the box and submit it.
It seems I have the most issues on my Windows 7 laptop with I.E.9.
When I use my old Windows XP desktop, I don't have as many issues.
I'm sure it's a setting in Internet Explorer causing the problems but I can't seem to locate it.
Thanks for listening.

powerhouse
AB3JP

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
This is typically a Cookie issue. Sometimes the board may ask you to log in more than once and it's due to the browser and how it's handling its Cookies. It's not the forum doing it on its own.

And other parts of this site (unrelated to the forums) will request you to login, they aren't synced.

powerhouse

I always assumed it was a cookie issue but I have checked the settings and I have cookies enabled.
I belong to several other forums and RR is the only site that I have issues with irregardless of what ever my particular settings are....very strange.
I've noticed these other small issues right after I discovered that you could no longer "hover" or "mouse over" a thread title and see the contents without opening the thread.
This occured right after the switch to the new sortware.
Every other web forum that I am involved in allows the thread preview and subsequently I don't see any of the other issues.
Please understand, I'm not complaining here just trying to undestand. I really enjoy and benefit greatly from this group and it's members/administrators.
I will play around with various settings and see if things change.
Is there a time out issue or post length issue when using "Quick Reply" ?
It is maddening to log in, type a quick reply, get the error message that says you must first log in (which is strange since the quick reply box isn't available unless you are logged in to begin with),
then have to start over. This is why I typicaly highlight and save my response. I can then just paste it in the box when I relog in.

powerhouse
AB3JP

K3HY

Premium Subscriber
I always assumed it was a cookie issue but I have checked the settings and I have cookies enabled.
I belong to several other forums and RR is the only site that I have issues with irregardless of what ever my particular settings are....very strange.
I've noticed these other small issues right after I discovered that you could no longer "hover" or "mouse over" a thread title and see the contents without opening the thread.
This occured right after the switch to the new sortware.
Every other web forum that I am involved in allows the thread preview and subsequently I don't see any of the other issues.
Please understand, I'm not complaining here just trying to undestand. I really enjoy and benefit greatly from this group and it's members/administrators.
I will play around with various settings and see if things change.
Is there a time out issue or post length issue when using "Quick Reply" ?
It is maddening to log in, type a quick reply, get the error message that says you must first log in (which is strange since the quick reply box isn't available unless you are logged in to begin with),
then have to start over. This is why I typicaly highlight and save my response. I can then just paste it in the box when I relog in.

powerhouse
AB3JP

Maybe the cookie got corrupted somehow.
You might try logging out of here, deleting the cookies for this site, then revisit here.
That should force a new cookie with your username and password.

powerhouse

.........also, I've noticed these issues on several different machines including the four boxes I have at home, our computer at work and the computers at our local library.
I have no control over the various settings on the computers at work or the public library.
All have various operating systems including Windows XP home and professional and Windows 7.
I have tried Internet Explorer 8 and 9, Google Chrome and Mozilla FireFox but I still see the same issues.........again, very weird.

powerhouse
AB3JP

powerhouse

I can agree on the corrupted cookie issue but on my home computers, I have the browser set to delete files and cookies when closing. I thought that was my original problem and tried preserving cookies and favorite website data but it had no effect. I also routinely CCleaner at home but of course not at work or the library and still notice no difference.

powerhouse
AB3JP

powerhouse

Strangely, I've noticed different issues on different boxes/operating systems and browsers at different times.
I've forgotten to log out before and shut down. Hours or days later, when I revisit even on a different machine, I find myself already logged in.

powerhouse
AB3JP

plus, I've logged out of this session, (at the top of the page itsays log in), and I'm strangely still able to see the quick reply box and even more starnge, am able to post and respond.

powerhouse
AB3JP

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
You should still be able to hover a thread in the listing and get the beginning of the post. That still works for me.

There could be corruption or some formatting issue that's happening when it's received by your browser. It's hard to say as it affects everyone differently. So I'm not sure. I always log out when I'm done FWIW.

powerhouse

Still, no matter what I do, I still can't "hover" over a thread and see the contents.
Another, strange one I just encountered is, while trying to post a response to an ad in the classified section, I get the "you did not fill in all of the required fields" error message when I hit the submit button.
This is on my laptop running windows seven/Internet Explorer 9.
I have to use my old windows XP desktop with Internet Explorer 8 to be able to post.
Also, while trying to craft this response on said desktop, I'm already logged in but it wont let me reply until I log out and then back in again.
I have checked and I do have all of the latest versions of Flash, Java and Shockwave installed.
This is so weird.

powerhouse
AB3JP

Status
Not open for further replies.