Quick Key Status Chart(s) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Using Sentinel with a 436.

Realize I’ve written about some of this before, but I’m really having a rough
time understanding this to the extent I’d like to.

It’s all coming together, I think, but slowly. “Old” age problem.
Lots to learn.

If someone could explain the following for me, would be most appreciative.

Let’s say I have created 10 FAV.
And have given each one a different QK (in Sentinel)

All set so far.

It’s the “Chart(s)” that show up that I don’t fully understand.

a. I go to the overall heading “Favorites Lists” in the left hand pane.
All the QK’s I’ve assigned show up

I then go to “Edit Profile,” and “Quick Keys Status”

My understanding is that if I e.g. check the boxes for QK 1, 2, and 3, that
QK’s 1, 2, and 3 would then be activated, automatically, after downloading to the radio.
And scanning of these three lists would begin without my intervention.

I would not have to press the 1,2, or 3 QK in the radio for me to have these three FAV lists scanned.

*So, this Chart is used to Only to activate automatically which QK are turned On
when the 436 is initially turned on.

No other purpose.

*Even if a box for a QK is UN-Checked here, once using the radio,
pressing that QK number will bring up the FAV. True ?

All of the above true ?

b. I now go to “Edit Favorites List...”

I select a particular FAV.

Under the tab: “System Quick Keys Status”, a similar Chart to the previous one shows up.

*How is it “different” from the one in the Edit Profiles ?

*How is this chart used ?
*How should it be configured ?

Thanks again for all the help, Truly appreciated,
Bob

rwier

Hello,

Lots to learn.

All set so far.

QK’s 1, 2, and 3 would then be activated, automatically, after downloading to the radio.

I would not have to press the 1,2, or 3 QK in the radio for me to have these three FAV lists scanned.

*So, this Chart is used to Only to activate automatically which QK are turned On

No other purpose.

All of the above true ?

Under the tab: “System Quick Keys Status”, a similar Chart to the previous one shows up.

Bob

"Even if a box for a QK is UN-Checked here, once using the radio,
pressing that QK number will bring up the FAV. True ?"

I believe you may have to press a second key, maybe the ".", to activate the QK change.

"How is it “different” from the one in the Edit Profiles ?"

In the "Edit Profiles" you are turning on/off FL QKs. Notice that here, in the FL Editor, you can also set QKs (Systems, Departments and Sites). In the FL Editor, you are turning on/off System QKs, and there is also a similar chart for turning on/off Dept/Site QKs.

The operation of QKs on Systems, Departments and Sites, is very confusing to me. Therefore, I use the QK System only on FLs. No complex settings and thought processes necessary, lol.

Also, I appreciate your verbose and precise syntax use in formulating your question/s!!! Hard to help someone who posts "I just got my 436 and I'm not hearing anything. Have I bought a brick?"

Last edited:

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Confusing is not the word! While we're on the topic, I also have a question concerning QK's!

First, let's begin with a scenario. I'm scanning 10 different Favorite Lists. I have several systems and departments in one FL as I have divivided my FL's by state regions.
Let's say something of interest pops up on a fire channel and I want to listen to that department.
1. How would I assign a Dept QK?
2. What action would I take to stop scanning and go right to that department?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rwier

Confusing is not the word! While we're on the topic, I also have a question concerning QK's!

First, let's begin with a scenario. I'm scanning 10 different Favorite Lists. I have several systems and departments in one FL as I have divivided my FL's by state regions.
Let's say something of interest pops up on a fire channel and I want to listen to that department.
1. How would I assign a Dept QK?
2. What action would I take to stop scanning and go right to that department?

My scanners range from 22-55 FLs (or whatever other brands call them) each. With 99 QKs, if I were concerned about a single Channel/TG (don't want to miss much) I would give it its own FL. If I were extremely concerned about a single Channel/TG (don't want to miss anything) I would give it its own FL and its own radio.

I know that doesn't answer your question. If I knew the answer, I might try it myself, lol.

cont: Or not! It just occurred to me that I have to have a printout for the 22 FLs in my 436 and my 536. With reasonably large fonts, the print/chart fills a single printed page. Can you imagine if all the Systems, Departments, and Sites all had QKs assigned to them? I would have to keep a fat three ring binder near the scanner. By the time I found the exact "combination" of keystrokes to either go to, turn on, or lock on a particular Channel/TG/or Site, the emergency would probably be resolved. I'm very happy with QKs only controlling FLs.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There are two different matters being discussed. I'll make two replies to separate the issues.

On the Favorites List Quick Keys status on the Edit Profile: That assigns a default status (On/checked or Off/unchecked) of the Favorites List Quick Keys. So if 1-5 are checked and 6-10 are unchecked, FLQKs 1-5 are On (being scanned) and 6-10 are Off (not being scanned).

If you wish to change a FLQK from On to Off (or Off to On), it's the same process as any other time FLQK# Eyes.

So Bobrr, your understanding is mostly correct except for one thing: When you power down your scanner, it remembers any changes you make to a FLQK. So if FLQK 1 is set to be On in your Profile Editor, but turn it off during a scanning session, that is remembered during the power down cycle. So when you power the scanner back up, FLQK will be Off. In other words, the brains of the scanner remembers what you did last and saves that for the next session during a power down. (Yeah it could be debated whether the FLQKs should revert to what is set via Profile, but in real life it is whatever the last thing you did).

On the System Quick Keys Status (and you'll also see something very similar for Dept/Site Quick Keys) in the Favorites List Editor, these functions are exactly the same as they are for the Favorites List Quick Keys in the profile editor. It is the initial status for System Quick Keys and Dept/Site Quick Keys. You can set them to be On or Off as desired.

Bear in mind the architecture is the Favorites List is a big container of stuff, with Systems being a medium container inside that FL and Departments/Sites being a small container in the Systems container.

Also if you set a System Quick Key to be On by default, it will not be scanned unless the Favorites List Quick Key is On. That's the usual rules for how Quick Keys work (Favorites, System, Department/Site).

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Hogdriver-

On your scenario I'm assuming by you meaning you want to listen to a specific channel because something of interest is going on with a given Fire Department as compared to a Department that is used in scanner context as something that is a group of channels.

There are two ways depending on the situation. One is your scanner has stopped on the channel and you are hearing the activity. In that case, press Channel and the scanner will stop scanning and hold on that channel. (You resume scanning by pressing Channel again).

The other is you are listening to the police channel and they are talking about a big fire and you want to "jump" to the fire channel to listen to it.

In this case, the best option is to use Number Tags. To do this, you assign an "address" for each channel you think you'll want to "jump" to at some point. There are three components to that "address" - the Favorites List Number Tag, the System Number Tag and the Channel Number Tag. These are set in Sentinel by editing the applicable Favorites List.

To make things easier on my memory, I give a Favorites List the same Number Tag as is used for the Favorites List Quick Key. So a Favorites List with a Quick Key of 1 has a Number Tag of 1. I also assign the System Number Tag to be the same as the System Quick Key. The last part is the Channel Number Tag. I'll use a number that helps me remember, such as "Fire One" has Channel Number Tag of 1.

Once I get these all set up and programmed to the scanner, when I want to jump to a specific channel, I do the following:

Press Channel to stop scanning and Hold on a Channel
Enter the Address of the Channel I want to jump to: FL Number Tag.System Number Tag.Channel Number Tag (the periods have to be there, just like for Quick Keys)
Then I press Channel again, which tells the scanner to jump to the desired channel.

To resume scanning I press Channel.

BOBRR

From OP (BOBRR)

Hi,

Great explanations.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble.

Regards,
Bob

BOBRR

From OP For ofd8001

Hi,

Thanks for the previous explanation.
Really clear.

Just a bit more, please:

a. If I have a QK assigned to a particular FAV, and have it enabled in
the Sentinel Profile Editor chart, then downloaded to unit, then
ALL the Systems, Departments, etc. will be
automatically scanned that are in that FAV ?

This is True even if have nothing enabled in the Favorites List Editor
chart for that FAV. (no QK boxes checked)

Correct ?

b. When would one, if ever, want to use the same QK number for a FAV,
and ALSO for the Systems or Departments under it ?

Ever necessary ?

Would there be a “conflict” ?

Thanks,
Bob

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Two Year Duration

Hello,

Lots to learn.

All set so far.

No other purpose.

All of the above true ?

Bob

Until this month, I never truly understood the architecture of my 436HP memory. Once I did, the sky opened up.

I was getting very confused by attempting to make this radio a "banked" radio like "scan lists" on my GRE radio. My problem involved in the "startup configuration keys." I kept limiting my mind to 10 banks using this method. It nearly drove me mad. I would attempt to create new profiles using a different set of startup configuration keys. Then, I would discover that where I put the startup configuration key, it would keep them all. Hence, I would have stacked systems. That was very annoying and very confusing to me.

So, I experimented. I said screw it. What do I have to lose?

Now, I am building a list of Favorites. In the section beside the name of the Favorite, I add the quick key number for ease. Then, I can see if the quick keys correspond. In the profile, you can tailor which of these systems you want to load and monitor.

With this methods, you can either: a) toggle on/off the Quick Key for that Favorite (there are 99 of these keys I believe). I know you can have around 200 Favorites, but, you can still toggle these on and off even if you have not assigned it a quick key, in the scan selection.

I am 62 years old. I have witnessed scanners go from crystals, to programmed cards, to trunking, etc. This radio was a challenge. It rocks. The Whistler model does not track DMR transmissions like Uniden. I am hoping for them to add the Kenwood system.

Cheers!

Last edited:

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
a. If I have a QK assigned to a particular FAV, and have it enabled in
the Sentinel Profile Editor chart, then downloaded to unit, then
ALL the Systems, Departments, etc. will be
automatically scanned that are in that FAV ?

This is True even if have nothing enabled in the Favorites List Editor
chart for that FAV. (no QK boxes checked)

Correct ?

No. If you have a FL turned on, but all the systems within that FL are turned off (boxes UNchecked), your scanner will not be able to scan that FL. In addition, if that is the ONLY FL you have enabled, you will get the dreaded "NOTHING TO SCAN" message.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
b. When would one, if ever, want to use the same QK number for a FAV,
and ALSO for the Systems or Departments under it ?

Ever necessary ?

Would there be a “conflict” ?

Thanks,
Bob

No conflict. Keep in mind the file cabinet analogy that was posted by another user. (If I remembered who it was I would give them credit.)
A Favorites List is a file cabinet. (You can have 100 numbered file cabinets.)
A System is a drawer in the file cabinet. (Each file cabinet can have 100 numbered drawers.)
A Department is a folder within the drawer. (Each drawer can have 100 numbered folders.)
A Channel is a piece of paper within each folder. (You can number tag channels or not, so the "limit" is rather ambiguous.)

So you can have file cabinet (FL) 01, and it can have a drawer (System) 01, which can contain folder (Department) 01.
My primary FL is FLQK 01, the most important System (for me) within that FL is SYSQK 01, and the primary department is DQK 01. In my humble opinion, you can't get much simpler than that. 01.01.01 E turns that department on or off.

BOBRR

From OP: (BOBRR)

Hi,

"No. If you have a FL turned on, but all the systems within that FL are turned off (boxes UNchecked),
your scanner will not be able to scan that FL. In addition, if that is the ONLY FL you have
enabled, you will get the dreaded "NOTHING TO SCAN" message."

Sure glad I asked.
I really had it wrong, apparently.

I thought that if a QK for a particular FAV is pressed, Everything in that FAV list
would be scanned, even
if no Systems, Departments, etc. QK's are enabled in that FAV.

I had also thought that just by pressing the FAV QK, one avoided having to assign, and enter,
the two or three numbers with the decimals.

A "simple" single number QK would scan the complete FAV contents.

Guess not.

BTW: any way of setting it up so that a single number press would scan all of the FAV ?

Thanks,
Bob

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
One thing I think throws people off is the term "Quick Key".

There are three different types of Quick Keys: Favorites List Quick Keys, System Quick Keys and Department/Site Quick Keys. Kind of like "Bob Smith", his wife "Jane Smith" and children "Johnny Smith" and "Sally Smith". While they all may answer to "Smith", they are entirely different people. To be sure which one is being addressed, the full name should be used to prevent the confusion.

For "things" to be scanned (and assuming Service Types, Location Control and Avoids are not factors), three conditions have to be present:

1 - The Favorites List Quick Key has to be On.
2 - System(s) contained in the Favorites List have to have their System Quick Key(s) turned On.
3 - Department(s)/Site(s) contained in the System(s) have to have their Department/Site Quick Key(s) turned On.

There is a way of setting up your scanner so that a single key press would scan all of the Favorites List. That would be to assign the Favorites List to a single digit Favorites List Quick Key, such as 0-9. Do not assign System Quick Keys and do not assign Department/Site Quick Keys. (It would actually be two button presses, the FLQK number and Eyes).

The Quick Key paradigm is a good thing, but it is a pain to get your arms completely around. You are going about it the right way by asking questions. The next step is just playing around with it. You won't mess up your scanner with bad programming.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

"No. If you have a FL turned on, but all the systems within that FL are turned off (boxes UNchecked),

your scanner will not be able to scan that FL. In addition, if that is the ONLY FL you have

enabled, you will get the dreaded "NOTHING TO SCAN" message."

Sure glad I asked.

I really had it wrong, apparently.

I thought that if a QK for a particular FAV is pressed, Everything in that FAV list

would be scanned, even

if no Systems, Departments, etc. QK's are enabled in that FAV.

I had also thought that just by pressing the FAV QK, one avoided having to assign, and enter,

the two or three numbers with the decimals.

A "simple" single number QK would scan the complete FAV contents.

Guess not.

BTW: any way of setting it up so that a single number press would scan all of the FAV ?

Thanks,

Bob

Not sure what your saying but I can turn my fav lists on and off just by entering the FLQK number and hitting "E". On the other hand, I don't have any system or dept qk's loaded yet.

BOBRR

For ofd8001 From OP

Hi,

Re your reply:

"For "things" to be scanned (and assuming Service Types, Location Control and Avoids are not factors), three conditions have to be present:

1 - The Favorites List Quick Key has to be On.
2 - System(s) contained in the Favorites List have to have their System Quick Key(s) turned On.
3 - Department(s)/Site(s) contained in the System(s) have to have their Department/Site Quick Key(s) turned On.

There is a way of setting up your scanner so that a single key press would scan all of the Favorites List. That would be to assign the Favorites List to a single digit Favorites List Quick Key, such as 0-9. Do not assign System Quick Keys and do not assign Department/Site Quick Keys. (It would actually be two button presses, the FLQK number and Eyes)."

It seemed on my first reading that the two paragraphs contradict each other ?
In the first, additional conditions (2) and (3) have to be fulfilled. (that being the other QK's assigned)

In the second, it is possible to have the full list FAV scanned with only a single digit press, and the conditions mentioned above of the additional QK's do not apply.

Is it that with a single digit QK of from 0 to 9 assigned for the FAV list, the three conditions in the first
paragraph don't apply ? Why ?

Might you clarify a bit, please.
Again, thanks for help. And everyone else, too.

Bob

rwier

In the second, it is possible to have the full list FAV scanned with only a single digit press, and the conditions mentioned above of the additional QK's do not apply.

No, the "E/." key press is necessary to "activate" the QK. Without it, the 2 key is just a number key.

After pressing the "E/." key, the FL will be scanned based upon other settings. "Edit Profile" settingscome to mind. Also, many "Edit Favorite List" options will control.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Might you clarify a bit, please.
Again, thanks for help. And everyone else, too.

Bob

First paragraph assumes you have assigned System Quick Keys as well as Department/Site Quick Keys, along with Favorites List Quick Keys.

The second paragraph suggests you do NOT assign System and Department/Site Quick Keys to get to that "one button" scenario.

Basically the purpose of Quick Keys gives you the ability to turn "things" on or off with the least amount of effort. Otherwise if you want to turn something on or off, you have to go through several steps on the scanner keypad.

These "things" I mention can be a "big thing" - a whole Favorites List, a "medium thing" a System within a Favorites List or a "small thing", a Department/site within a System that's in a Favorites List.

So in your situation you may have a "Boston" Favorites List. In that "Boston" Favorites List you may have the Mass. State police as a system and the city of Boston as another system. In the city of Boston system, you may have a Boston Police Department (a group of frequencies) and Boston Fire Department (a group of frequencies).

If you are scanning away and want to hear just the Boston PD, you can go through a series of keypresses to turn off System Quick Keys (the state police one) and the Boston Police Department Quick Key, leaving you to scan only Boston fire in that Favorites List.

If you wish, you can convert a Favorites List to an HPE file, then zip it an attach to a reply. Seeing how you have laid a Favorites List out will allow me to speak in more specific terms on what you are doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.