Quick keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveLevasseur

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone. Last time I had a question everyone was great with helping me out. I successfully split up areas and trunked sites of my state with everyone’s help. My scanner is a bcd996p2. So I have a whole group of conventional frequencies set up in group “6”. In group 6 I have airline frequencies, FRS frequencies, CB, MURS, local railroads. Can I break group “6” up into smaller groups that I can toggle on and off. For example, if I don’t want to hear CB or FRS can in turn them off and not the rest of the group while scanning? I have tried a couple of ways I thought it would work but no luck. Thanks in advance.

DaveLevasseur

Premium Subscriber
Free scan. I thought I did it right but when I send it to the scanner I’m unable to select/deselect. All I have is the “6” on the upper line but nothing available on the second line. Basically it’s all or nothing for “6”. In my trunked setup anything not active has a *. When active the number appears.

Ubbe

If you push the dial to get into Fn mode while scanning, that dissapears after 3 sec if do not touch any controls, you can turn the dial to switch between different systems. It will show what groups you have programmed with group keys in each system. While on your system 6 you can push the corresponding number digit to turn on or off that group.

So if you have airline on 1 and FRS on 2, you push the dial and turn it to go to system 6 and within 3 sec you push digit 2 to turn off your FRS channels. After each button push you get an additional 3 sec time to do more button pushing before the Fn dissaperas on the display and you are back to the mode where the number buttons instead works as a system/banks selector.

/Ubbe

DaveLevasseur

Premium Subscriber
If you push the dial to get into Fn mode while scanning, that dissapears after 3 sec if do not touch any controls, you can turn the dial to switch between different systems. It will show what groups you have programmed with group keys in each system. While on your system 6 you can push the corresponding number digit to turn on or off that group.

So if you have airline on 1 and FRS on 2, you push the dial and turn it to go to system 6 and within 3 sec you push digit 2 to turn off your FRS channels. After each button push you get an additional 3 sec time to do more button pushing before the Fn dissaperas on the display and you are back to the mode where the number buttons instead works as a system/banks selector.

/Ubbe

Right. That’s what I do for the trunked systems. I must not be programming it right through free scan for that group though. When I hit function, go to 6 then try to use the other numbers I just get two quick beeps like nothing is programmed. Basically it looks like this.

*****6****
—————

I was expecting:
*****6****
12*45- - - - -

I think I’m assigning them wrong in freescan.

a29zuk

*****6**** = system
12*45**** = group

You have all of your conventional frequencies in "system" 6 and nothing programmed into "group(s)" or you programmed your groups and didn't assign them a quick key.

In freescan right click on any system and select new system.
Select "conventional system" and give it a name and assign it a quick key.
If you right click on the system you can add up to 10 groups.
For example:
Group 1 = Railroads
Group 2 = MURS
Group 3 = FRS
etc.

Don' t forget to assign each Group a quick key! They are separate from System quick keys.

Good luck,
Jim

DaveLevasseur

Premium Subscriber
*****6**** = system
12*45**** = group

You have all of your conventional frequencies in "system" 6 and nothing programmed into "group(s)" or you programmed your groups and didn't assign them a quick key.

In freescan right click on any system and select new system.
Select "conventional system" and give it a name and assign it a quick key.
If you right click on the system you can add up to 10 groups.
For example:
Group 1 = Railroads
Group 2 = MURS
Group 3 = FRS
etc.

Don' t forget to assign each Group a quick key! They are separate from System quick keys.

Good luck,
Jim

Thanks again everyone. In the midst of being bored (the reason I didn’t leave well enough alone) and tired (the reason I messed it up) I was just dumb with my programming. You guys helped me realize that I made every individual type a system and not a group within a system. Duh.... That’s why it was all or nothing.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Setting up different groups of conventional frequencies as their own system, with different System Quick Keys may not be a bad thing. You have to be on a given system in order to enable/disable a Group Quick Key for the system. For me, that works easier.

I also like to use System Quick Keys higher than 9 (as in 10, 11, etc.) for the x96 line of scanners. Anything 9 or less, all you need is just press the number and it is off, even if the button press was accidental. With the double digit ones, you have to press the . (period) button first. A little bit of a safeguard.

a29zuk

Setting up different groups of conventional frequencies as their own system, with different System Quick Keys may not be a bad thing. You have to be on a given system in order to enable/disable a Group Quick Key for the system. For me, that works easier.

This is a very good idea in Dave's case. He has a very diverse group of conventional frequencies. Unlike my conventional channel setups that are mostly police and fire.

Jim

DaveLevasseur

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. Right now I have the other numbers programmed as different areas of Maryland, the states of Delaware and New Jersey taking my other 0-9 spots until I get a gps for it. I travel the area quite often. FYI as for the conventional channels most are locked out. For example, in the “CB” group only channel 9 and 19 are unlocked. In the “Marine VHF” only 16 and 22. They rest are there in case I want to tune them in manually if I hear something about another channel. Thanks again for everyone who helped out. I’ll be back next time I mess something up.

Status
Not open for further replies.