Quick lingo question (Sedgwick county)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpax4059

Premium Subscriber
So I've been listening for a long while but I still can't figure out what "common" is. What's is "go to common"? Any input?

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
So I've been listening for a long while but I still can't figure out what "common" is. What's is "go to common"? Any input?

It usually means go to a car to car or mutual aid channel.

mpax4059

Premium Subscriber
Ahhhh, OK. That makes sense. Kind of wish there was a way to monitor that channel too.

I_am_Alpha1

There is...it's a talkgroup like the one you were originally listening to when they said "go to common." "Private" is another thing all together--depending on your scanner, you would enter "i0" ".0" or "i000000" as the talkgroup and then it still may not work.

dgruver911

There is...it's a talkgroup like the one you were originally listening to when they said "go to common." "Private" is another thing all together--depending on your scanner, you would enter "i0" ".0" or "i000000" as the talkgroup and then it still may not work.

Not necessarily...Ellis County for instance calls all their "car-to-car" talkgroups "private" as in Hays PD Private, Ellis County SO private, etc. So they are a talkgroup just like the others. IMHO using the term private leads to users thinking no one can hear them, and saying things perhaps they shouldn't, but they do that on Tac and Ops talkgroups too, so....and private calls (a radio to radio 1:1 conversation) , which I assume Alpha-1 is referring to, are not allowed on the KSICS system. Sedgwick County I'm not sure, but I assume they are prohibited as well as they did away with them as well as phone patches on their analog system several years ago due to system loading and our radios are not set up to do them on either system.

Last edited:

mpax4059

Premium Subscriber
Wichita Police common channels.

Jacob
I should have said I wish I could through the scanner app on my phone. I use to have a handheld scanner to listen to police and really everything but when police and fire went to P25 I haven't been able to afford a handheld so I've been having to listen on the app from Android.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I should have said I wish I could through the scanner app on my phone. I use to have a handheld scanner to listen to police and really everything but when police and fire went to P25 I haven't been able to afford a handheld so I've been having to listen on the app from Android.
The Broadcastify Feed Provider Terms of Service restrict the Law Enforcement feeds to "routine dispatch and event channels only."

Fireattack484

Feed Provider
In Sedgwick County lingo, "Common" refers to one of the two PD talkgroups - either "South/West Common", or "North/East Common". There is also a "Sheriff Common" talk group for LE, and EMS has "EMS Common" as well. The LE in most of the small municipalities have their own version of "Common" too, but they will usually refer to it as something else, such as "Go to B". The WPD Common channels are most often used for officer to officer traffic regarding details of calls that are too lengthy to give over the Dispatch talkgroup, or to pass on information that is usually not appropriate to give over the Dispatch channel, like where are we meeting for dinner? The WPD dispatchers monitor the Common talkgroup for their bureau, and will occasionally communicate with officers on there as well.

kmi8dy

other lingo

other words that would designate a " private " channel are , proprietary channel, chat channel, talk channel, or someone saying " go to our channel. "

Status
Not open for further replies.