• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quick Question about CB Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

You're making a semanical error here. What the FCC considers a "base" or fixed station isn't the same as what the average person considers a "base". A fixed station or fixed base (that's the FBx designation) is the master transmitter be it a simplex,duplex, or repeater. That can be at the owner's location or on top of a mountain or building or anywhere remote. That's the base station. It also is required to have a higher tolerance .0025% stability then all the othe ancillary units. That also is (or used to be) the one that required complete calculation of losses and gains from radio to antenna for ERP. When a station sitting on a desk communicates with or through this station, it is a called a control station and only requires mobile stability, directional antenna, and the lowest power needed to establish communications. While people call this a base, it's in fact not. To add a little dimension to this, historically, many of what were called bases, weren't even radios even if co-located on the same property. They were essentially a remote control head either directly wired to the unit for local control or through a dc or phone line pair. The FCC term for that is a "Control Point" which can also be applied to a control station. That simply indicated that where that station was also contained those responsible for the system. When I got into this business in the early 70's, complete table top bases were a rarity. The station sat besides a desk in a 3' cabinet or somewhere else. Reasoning being that the "base" had to endure a 100% duty cycle as opposed to mobile and control stations didn't see more then a 20% duty cycle. In essense, that's true even today in a system that sees heavy usage. This my seem over the top for your question, but it's necessary to know how the FCC views the term when approaching a license.

milkman21218

Yep! ;-) I was thinking of having a base station or repeater at my house!

Here it is straight of the FCC Website: "(a) Except for a GMRS system licensed to a non-individual, one or more small base stations or a small control station may be added to a GMRS system at any point where radio services are regulated by the FCC"

Therefor, it seems to me that I could have one or more base stations. One at each house for example.

Also, "a) An individual GMRS system licensee may permit immediate family members to be station operators in his or her GMRS system. Immediate family members are the:

(1) Licensee;

(2) Licensee's spouse;

(3) Licensee's children, grandchildren, stepchildren;

(4) Licensee's parents, grandparents, stepparents;

(5) Licensee's brothers, sisters;

(6) Licensee's aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews; and

(7) Licensee's in-laws."

This goes on to say that any of the above, including Grandparents could operate a GMRS station in my GMRS System. So, If I outfit each house with a unit, there is no reason why they couldn't use it. According to the FCC, I believe that I am correct.

Is it that they all must live in the same location in order to be covered? And not one license for muti-locations?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
To me the key in the OP is "reliable". CB is far from reliable. Just far far too many variables. Maybe in 5 years might be more reliable with out all the hash of skip. But then we factor in hand held, poor antenna. The way to go is what most have said, GMRS, or MURS.

SCPD

QRT
You might be able to use handhelds at all three locations. Five watts should be adequate, as long as the building construction is not excessively thick.

Keep in mind that you will need a GMRS license for each of the locations.

Sent from Tapatalk

No you will not need 3 license ,it does not state that in the rules as they are immediate family.

SCPD

QRT
Yep! ;-) I was thinking of having a base station or repeater at my house!

Here it is straight of the FCC Website: "(a) Except for a GMRS system licensed to a non-individual, one or more small base stations or a small control station may be added to a GMRS system at any point where radio services are regulated by the FCC"

Therefor, it seems to me that I could have one or more base stations. One at each house for example.

Also, "a) An individual GMRS system licensee may permit immediate family members to be station operators in his or her GMRS system. Immediate family members are the:

(1) Licensee;

(2) Licensee's spouse;

(3) Licensee's children, grandchildren, stepchildren;

(4) Licensee's parents, grandparents, stepparents;

(5) Licensee's brothers, sisters;

(6) Licensee's aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews; and

(7) Licensee's in-laws."

This goes on to say that any of the above, including Grandparents could operate a GMRS station in my GMRS System. So, If I outfit each house with a unit, there is no reason why they couldn't use it. According to the FCC, I believe that I am correct.

You are correct,people do not take time to read the entire rules and then begin to assume things,go ahead and get you license and get them on the air and enjoy....Seems like this thread had more to do with GMRS than CB.

Ranothil

I know :D I was trying to find the best radio service for my situation. CB got dropped pretty quick! Thanks for all of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.