Quick question is this the same or better?

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I'm no expert in antenna engineering and I do not like magnetic antennas for any mobile use, but here goes:

If you are going to use a mobile antenna for base use, they work decently in that role. Placed on top of a steel bodied refrigerator, a steel file cabinet, or a steel tool cab/chest, etc. - they can work. On a car, truck, or van? They present problems - trunk lids are being made out of aluminum, placing them on auto roofs leaves multiple feet of coax exposed and that can damage the paint and body. You might as well drill a hole and if you do that, just install a NMO mount antenna and be done with it. My truck body is aluminum and no magnet mount will work.

If you do a search here on Tram antennas, you will find that that vast majority hate them. Poor construction, cheap materials, etc. I concur with these assessments.

What low bands do you want to listen to? 10 meters? 11 meters? If so, you'd be better served by buying a CB or 10 meter mobile antenna and mounting that to your vehicle. Easy on a Jeep Wrangler, but not easy on a Toyota Prius.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
No one mobile receiving antenna is going to excel across all bands from 25 to 1 GHz+. As transmitting antennas, this is even more true.

JimBobTerp

I was just trying to find out for my car use. That’s what I was going to use this antenna for not to listen to it in my house unless I could Boom it off something.