quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

abekkering

i have a bct15 and listen to the schenectady police department in up state new york. the police department has a channel labeled ch4 or detectives channel but when people are talking on the channel there is alot of static and it is very broken up but none of the other channels the police department have are this way. is there anything i could buy to change this or a simple solution??

firefighter89

It is probably simplex while the other channels you listen too are repeaters. You would have to be close by to hear both sides of the conversation clear.

captclint

Mentor
i have a bct15 and listen to the schenectady police department in up state new york. the police department has a channel labeled ch4 or detectives channel but when people are talking on the channel there is alot of static and it is very broken up but none of the other channels the police department have are this way. is there anything i could buy to change this or a simple solution??
I looked at the Schenectady county and city. Both Sheriff dispatch 154.80000 , and 155.70 could be repeated.
Are these the frequencies you listen to? If not, please tell us which frequencies you get well, and also ch4.

The way the license KWX575 and KWX571 are shown, there are no mobiles or Control points, but each of these is listed as both FB (Simplex fixed base), and FB2(repeater). It is a bit unusual. The mobiles must be on another license. If you click on the call signs, you will see that the antenna for each is are a different lockations, and you may be closer to one than the other. Or it could be that dispatch is repeated and Ch4 is not.

Last edited:

captclint

Mentor
155.7000 is the channel i was talking about
Ok, then did you look at the location of the transmitters to see if one is closer? On 154.8000, do you hear both base and mobiles with the same strength...in other words, are the mobile conversations repeated, or do the mobiles come in weak and strong?

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
Both the 155.640 and 155.700 repeaters are difficult to hear outside of the immediate city area. I'm not sure where the exact location of the repeaters are; they may be at the PD station on Liberty Street. From my location in Latham, I can barely hear 155.640, and I can't hear 155.700 at all. I also find the signal from the Rensselaer County Sheriff's repeater in Grafton on 155.655 blows out any 155.640 traffic that I can hear.

Dave, in case you were unaware, the city pulled their MDT traffic off 155.700 and moved it to a conventional 800 MHz. channel. I don't remember the exact frequency; I think it's in the 857 MHz. range. Sounds just like Colonie's and Albany's MDT channels of 860.2375 and 855.7125.

Kevin

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
The actual MDT frequency for Schenectady is 857.7375 MHz. however it is useless to listen to. It is just straight 24 hours of 'buzzing' noises. Plus, if it's the same type of system that can be found in Colonie, Albany City and Albany County, then it is either 128-bit or 256-bit encrypted (as recommended by the good folks from the National Crime Information Center).

There isn't any voice traffic on that frequency, nor does the city have the ability to use it for voice traffic if the MDT system happened to fail. I have heard in the past when a car in the field either has a problem running a plate or can't log into the computer at all they switch back to COUNTY-1 (155.190) and get the data & information there. COUNTY-2 (154.800) is just used by the Sheriff's Department now, but every now and then you may hear another agency in the county pop up on the channel. The county still pretty much uses their number scheme that was assigned back when most of the law enforcement agencies still used COUNTY-1 & 2 so it's pretty obvious when it isn't a sheriff on 154.800.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.